pumping water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumping water

My 150 hp was pumping water the last time I used it fine. went today in the yard with ear muffs and started engine and it was not pumping anywater. the tubing was not clogged either. It has a new water pump too. Any ideas, I have moved houses and not used this houses hose yet and bought a new set of ear muffs, could it be not enough water pressure. Checked it and it seemed fined. Any help would be appreciated

also wanted to let run for awhile to see if it started to work. How long is to long if the water pump is not working before any damage occurs

Comment

dg,
      What do you mean by "not pumping any water"?
      Any water coming out the side discharge (pee stream)? Any water coming out the relief holes, out the middle of the prop hub?
      Hook the earmuffs to the hose and off the motor and turn the hose on - maybe obstruction there (like a lizard). Even with a weak water pump and a minimum amount of hose pressure, there should be some signs of water coming out the tell-tale side discharge, relief holes, and/or prop hub.
      Tell us what you find,
      Ken K [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

no water coming out of pee whole at all. Water is coming out of the relief wholes but not much or none at all coming out of the prop hub. The thing was working fine in the water two days ago. Hooked up to today with the earmuffs and nothing.

Comment

Like I said before, I checked the tubing for the pee whole and no obstruction. Thanks for the help any response would greatly be appreciated

Comment

dg,
            Sounds like you have blockage in water pump housing/tube. Gonna have to drop lower unit to find out. If it has been at least three years since last water pump repair, need to do it anyway.
            There are thermo switches mounted in each head assy on that V-6. They will close at approx 180 degrees f. and signal the ignition control that an overheat condition has occured. Also, the alarm should sound, and seconds later the motor goes into rpm reduction mode. This all occurs before any damage is done to the motor.
            Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

thanks ken. This is a commercial series C150TLRU, does this have an alarm? All this seems weird to me, it was doing fine the other day, did not run aground or anything. What would be a good overall estimate with a mechanic on the workk you explained.

Comment

dg,
                Your motor is a '96 model, and, yes it has an alarm - but it is possible it is not working. But even if the alarm horn is faulty, the motor should go into rpm reduction if an overheat condition occurs.
                The alarm can be tested by disconnecting the two wires that go to either thermo switch about four inches away from the switch, and then shorting the wires that go back to the CDI with the ignition on. The alarm should immediately sound.
                Don't know what you will have to pay for a water pump kit install up there. Locally, I believe it would run around $200. The kit itself runs around $75 (boats.net, sponsor of this forum has best price).
                With average garden hose water pressure and with earmuffs attached, and motor running at idle, there should be some water coming out side discharge and prop hub. Your impeller may have broken loose from the drive shaft and is not spinning at all, and thereby blocking any water passage to the cooling jackets. I'm speculating, but like I said, if it has been at least three years since last water pump repair, I would do it.
                And have the mechanic check that alarm also.
                Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                Ken K

Comment

thanks ken, I am going to drop her rear end in the water at the ramp this evening. And check that way. How long should I let her go before worring bout over heating (if the water pump is not working)

Comment

dg,
                    If the water pump is not working, I would say the motor would overheat within five minutes at the ramp - I would pull the hood off the motor and feel of the tops of the heads. Monitor how hot they get as soon as you crank it up. If the pump is working ok and cooling like it should, then the top of the heads should not go over 135 degrees - this is the temp for the thermostats to open up max and regulate. You can touch 135 degree metal for a SHORT time - obviously, do not wait five minutes after cranking before you touch.
                    I don't have to tell you to be careful here - I think it's obvious. When I run my motor on the driveway with the earmuffs, sometimes I will pull the hood and feel of the heads. With the motor running at idle, and the cooling system doing it's job, I can touch (for a short time) the top of each head and see if both thermostats are regulating equally.
                    If the pump is not working, then the motor should overheat pretty quickly - get up to 180 degrees and the alarm should sound. The motor will not go into rpm reduction mode at idle, so if your alarm is not working, you could possibly do damage if you let it run too long w/o water pressure.
                    Good luck, and let us know what you find out [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                    Ken K

Comment

thanks, I am going to try this afternoon.

Comment

well, everything is fine. I probably overeacted, I just bought this thing and really did not have the money for it but did it anyway. took the boat to the ramp and it pissed fine. Brought it home and it did not. But at least I know it is not the water pump. Used the next door neighbors hose and muffs and it pissed like it should. Probably overeacted, sorry, but now I know

Comment

dg,
                          Don't be sorry - this is how you learn this stuff [img]smile.gif[/img] .
                          And most of us "don't have the money" either when we buy a boat/motor/trailer!
                          If you used a different set of earmuffs at your neighbor's house, check your earmuffs - when you attach them, if you don't have both sides of the intake covered all the way or if there is a split in the "ears", the impeller sometimes has a hard time "priming" because it will suck air instead of water.
                          Good luck and enjoy your investment [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                          Ken K

Comment

thanks ken, this board is alright!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X