1993 Yamaha 115 No Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Yamaha 115 No Spark

My 1993 Yamaha 115 V4 has run perfectly but now has no spark. There is voltage coming from the engine to the CDI but nothing going to the coils. Where should I buy a repair manual to get the voltage specs and help me diagnose this problem? Thanks in advance, JB

do you have a peak reading meter?
    not to be confused with a true RMS which is not peak.

Comment

This may help, but really need to find the Yamaha manual for your motor.
      Look at page 112
      ISSUU - CDI Electronics Practical Outboard Ignition Troubleshooting by CDI Electronics

as Rodbolt said already the proper test equipment is needed to read voltages so the numbers can be compared to specs

Did you check to make sure your kill switch is clipped?

Here is a link to look up your service manual's #
      YAMAHA MANUAL STORE
      You can order from there or from a Yamaha dealer close to you
      or do some searching on the web with that #

Comment

I do not have a peak reading meter. I found one on ebay for about $50.00. Do you think that I should order that one when I order the service manual or is there a better choice? I understand how internal combustion engines work but my knowledge of electronics and electrical test equipment is woefully inadequate. Again, Thanks for the help. JB

Comment

Originally posted by 1993hurricane View Post
          My 1993 Yamaha 115 V4 has run perfectly but now has no spark. There is voltage coming from the engine to the CDI but nothing going to the coils. Where should I buy a repair manual to get the voltage specs and help me diagnose this problem? Thanks in advance, JB
          Have a look here, it may give you the info:

Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home: Basic Search

Click on Marine/Boat motors.

Comment

the 1st link I posted tells about troubleshooting the CDI, a good read to get basics and then some specs

DVA adapter with a regular meter will work or the peak voltmeter

Comment

Thank you! I think that is exactly the information that I need. I'll post an update or another question tomorrow afternoon. JB

Comment

The failure is somewhere in the kill circuit. Disconnected the white wire from the CDI and it runs great! Thank you to Rodbolt17, 99yam40, and JohnOrrett for convincing me not to buy a $600 CDI or a $1200 stator. The links you sent me were just what I needed. Hope I can return or pass on the favor. Thanks again, JB

Comment

Working...
                X