2012 115 hp oil drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 115 hp oil drain plug

Where is the oil drain plug located on a 2012 115 hp yamaha 4 stroke? Or do you have to pump the oil out of the oil fill to remove?

It is right where your owner's manual says that it is

Comment

some prefer to suck it out to keep from cross-threading and/or stripping the threads of the drain screw.

One less thing to worry about

Comment

Oil drain plug

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        it is right where your owner's manual says that it is

thanks for the info. My owners manual does not say anything about draining the engine oil and there is no diagram like you sent. It tells how to change the gear oil and a lot of unuseful information. But thanks again, you have answered my question.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          some prefer to suck it out to keep from cross-threading and/or stripping the threads of the drain screw.

One less thing to worry about
          That's probably what I'd do also, as understand a stripped out drain screw hole is a real bugger to repair...just use a pump...

Comment

Yamahaoutboards.com shows only two owner's manuals for 2006 and later F115's.

Page 67 of this manual

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...07-13_1370.pdf

Page 61 of this manual

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...06-75_1369.pdf

I would agree with the others however. In less time than you can remove the drain plug you can suck the oil out of the oil pan. With no risk of cross threading the plug or of stripping the oil pan threads.

Comment

Almost time to change my oil, so this of high interest to me.

What kind of pump is suggested? Or do y'all mean just suck the oil out thru a soda-straw?

Comment

A vacuum extraction device with a storage tank is typically used. Or, they also make electric pump driven extractors. Just depends on how much money you want to spend.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oil+...s&ie=&oe=&rlz=

I got a ten dollar flexible vane pump from Home Depot that goes onto the end of my drill motor. It will pump all of the oil out in record time. Just pump it into a bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime1 View Post
                  Almost time to change my oil, so this of high interest to me.

What kind of pump is suggested? Or do y'all mean just suck the oil out thru a soda-straw?
                  Yep, just suck it out with a soda straw....but don't swallow too much...kinda rough on the digestive system.....

Comment

Found this the other day, slicker than snot!!!

Yamaha 4-stroke oil change.wmv - YouTube
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Why all the paranoid people about changing the oil by removing the sump plug? it is no harder to strip or cross thread it than any other bolt, sump plugs get removed all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                        Why all the paranoid people about changing the oil by removing the sump plug? it is no harder to strip or cross thread it than any other bolt, sump plugs get removed all the time.
                        If there are two alternate, equally effective methods of doing something, and one has the potential for damaging the motor and one does not, why take the riskier approach? Not to mention that the method with lesser risk is faster and less messy.

I have seen engines with damage from improper installation of a drain plug. I have never heard of an engine being damaged from using a vacuum extraction device.

In the end each is free to choose. Some choose not to change the oil at all.

Comment

If you can't screw in a drain plug without cross threading it, you shouldn't be wrenching on it, period...
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

it happens.
                            occasionally the AL threads gall to the steel plug and strip on removal.
                            some get overtightened and strip.
                            some get cross threaded.

it happens enough that I have some specially modified heli-coils, a modified drill bit and a modified heli-coil tap just for that.

for 100 bucks I can rethread (heli-coil) that bogus thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                              If you can't screw in a drain plug without cross threading it, you shouldn't be wrenching on it, period...
                              Thousands of professional mechanics throughout the world would have to quit their jobs if what you say is correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X