Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outboard is on stand. How do I start it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard is on stand. How do I start it?

I am having problems with my 2001 Yamaha 24hp 4-stroke so I brought it home and placed it on a stand. I didn't bring the remote control box with me because I didn't have time to do that. How can I attempt to start it without the control box and key? On the boat there is a black cable that is attached to the negative side of the battery along with the main negative cable. If it helps I can post pics and videos upon request.
    Last edited by ruiz2728; 09-29-2013, 08:35 PM.

if someone has a minute to spare and wouldn't mind giving me a call at 347-779-9516 I would really appreciate it.

Comment

Is this an electric start motor? If so, you obviously disconnected the harness that runs in the boat to the key switch/control box.

Somewhere in the motor harness is a yellow wire. Apply a 12 volt power source to that wire.

I presume that you left the battery cables on the motor. Connect them to the battery that is the source of the 12 volt power for the yellow wire.

Run a jumper wire from the 12 volt positive lead on the battery cable, at the point where the red battery cable connects to the motor, to the brown wire on the starter motor solenoid. The motor should crank. Whether it will start or not depends upon a number of variables. If the motor is in good condition and has fuel it should start and run.

Somewhere in the harness that you disconnected is a white wire. Connect that white wire to the battery ground to stop the motor from running.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Is this an electric start motor? If so, you obviously disconnected the harness that runs in the boat to the key switch/control box.

Somewhere in the motor harness is a yellow wire. Apply a 12 volt power source to that wire.

I presume that you left the battery cables on the motor. Connect them to the battery that is the source of the 12 volt power for the yellow wire.

Run a jumper wire from the 12 volt positive lead on the battery cable, at the point where the red battery cable connects to the motor, to the brown wire on the starter motor solenoid. The motor should crank. Whether it will start or not depends upon a number of variables. If the motor is in good condition and has fuel it should start and run.

Somewhere in the harness that you disconnected is a white wire. Connect that white wire to the battery ground to stop the motor from running.
        Finally the yami is running again! It turns out is was 3 problems that were keeping hey from running. The first was the rotted fuel filter water separator that kept leaking causing pressure to be lost in the fuel system. The second were those wires that come out of the spark plug regulator that were corroded and weren't allowing the spark plugs to fire. And the third was a clogged disgusting carburetor. I changed the oil and now it's purring again. Thanks boscoe99 for telling me how to start it.

Comment

Working...
        X