Yamaha 80hp 1.6 litre four stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 80hp 1.6 litre four stroke

Hi Guys, Bought this Gorges Engine last February, It runs great, powers along nicely, great fuel economy but I do have a problem, when Im on the water and switch it off for a while while Im fishing it burns oil on start up.
    I have taken it back on the first service and they said the dip stick is measured too high and put less oil in it and was told dont worry its under warranty, well its burning oil on start up, has anyone come across this problem?
    If so what was done.
    Thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdASjntfkCM
    Last edited by loyaldragon; 10-18-2013, 09:29 PM.

Is it just a puff of smoke or so or lots of smoke?

How many hours are on the motor now?

Did you run it at wide open throttle or at mostly high power during hours three through ten of the break in period?

How much run time at wide open throttle?

What is the wide open throttle RPM?

When you stop for a period of time do you leave it trimmed fully down? If so, try trimming it up just a bit and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Is it just a puff of smoke or so or lots of smoke?

How many hours are on the motor now?

Did you run it at wide open throttle or at mostly high power during hours three through ten of the break in period?

How much run time at wide open throttle?

What is the wide open throttle RPM?

When you stop for a period of time do you leave it trimmed fully down? If so, try trimming it up just a bit and see what happens.
      Yes its a puff smoke and can persist for 10 seconds or so.
      has 48 hours.
      Broke it in as per manual.
      wide open throttle rpm is 5800rpm.
      I have trimmed it to halfway but when the seas are rought it makes no difference.

Comment

My comment with respect to trimming the motor up a bit is when it is not running. For instance, when you stop trim it up a bit past vertical. See if the smoke stops or not. Not sure how the rough seas come into play.

Comment

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS AT ALL!!!!!!!

I have a 2004 F90 and the same issues - Many, many moons ago I called Yamaha when this first happened as I only had 50 of so hours on my new motor. It is commonplace for these motors to seep a few drops of oil if the motor is in the trim down position for any length of time, no big deal.

What I do with mine (if I remember) is to store it where the motor is level or above.....but sometimes while fishing if I'm stopped for a long time and forget I'll get the puff of smoke, sometimes it lasts a minute or two before it all burns out. I'm over 600 hours on mine now with no problems -

I'm in a warm climate area and just switched from 5W-30 to 5W-40 oil and I find this helps out a bit but it will still do it occasionally. It does remind me why I no longer have a 2-stroke!

Go enjoy your F80!!

Comment

Originally posted by CatCam View Post
            DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS AT ALL!!!!!!!

I have a 2004 F90 and the same issues - Many, many moons ago I called Yamaha when this first happened as I only had 50 of so hours on my new motor. It is commonplace for these motors to seep a few drops of oil if the motor is in the trim down position for any length of time, no big deal.

What I do with mine (if I remember) is to store it where the motor is level or above.....but sometimes while fishing if I'm stopped for a long time and forget I'll get the puff of smoke, sometimes it lasts a minute or two before it all burns out. I'm over 600 hours on mine now with no problems -

I'm in a warm climate area and just switched from 5W-30 to 5W-40 oil and I find this helps out a bit but it will still do it occasionally. It does remind me why I no longer have a 2-stroke!

Go enjoy your F80!!
            Thanks for that, does your outboard smoke up this much here is a link. Brand new Yamaha 80hp Burning Oil. - YouTube

I have contacted Yamaha again and they have asked me to take it back to the fitter, dont know what will happen yet.
            It makes me sick the smell and the fumes, I have asma and that smoke effects me, my wife wont go on the boat anymore, fun times ahead.

Comment

any 4 stroke motor will seep a little oil past the rings and into the combustion chamber if the warm motor is positioned with the combustion chamber lower than the cylinder wall.
              Once the oil that was coating the cylinder walls and pistons has drained back down into the sump the motor can be stored in any position. But when 1st turned off it is best to tilt it a little so the combustion chamber is not the low point

Comment

Originally posted by loyaldragon View Post
                Thanks for that, does your outboard smoke up this much here is a link. Brand new Yamaha 80hp Burning Oil. - YouTube

I have contacted Yamaha again and they have asked me to take it back to the fitter, dont know what will happen yet.
                It makes me sick the smell and the fumes, I have asma and that smoke effects me, my wife wont go on the boat anymore, fun times ahead.
                Mine is worse than that when it does it -- doesn't do it all the time only when I wave it trimmed all the way down for a little while. As long as it clears up it isn't an issue according to Yamaha. Personally I wouldn't bring it back to the shop to have some moron fix something that ain't broke. If your oil level is fine and it clears up right after start up I wouldn't worry. What weight oil are you using? I found that mine didn't do it as much when I switched from 10W-30 to 10W-40 oil (corrected the weight from my post above, not 5W-).....Be thankful you don't have a 2 stroke!

Comment

Originally posted by CatCam View Post
                  Mine is worse than that when it does it -- doesn't do it all the time only when I wave it trimmed all the way down for a little while. As long as it clears up it isn't an issue according to Yamaha. Personally I wouldn't bring it back to the shop to have some moron fix something that ain't broke. If your oil level is fine and it clears up right after start up I wouldn't worry. What weight oil are you using? I found that mine didn't do it as much when I switched from 10W-30 to 10W-40 oil (corrected the weight from my post above, not 5W-).....Be thankful you don't have a 2 stroke!
                  Im very Grateful its not a 2 stroke, its an amazing outboard but was worried as it is getting worse, I will ask Yamaha to put 10w 40 and see what Happens.

Comment

well the outboard is back with Yamaha atm, will keep you posted.
                    Fingers crossed

Comment

its called old man gravity and mechanical clearences.

visualize the cylinder(tube) the piston runs up and down in.
                      with the motor trimmed horizontal that cylinder (tube) is horizontal.
                      now the crankshaft end of the tube is open to the crankcase oil and oil collects on the walls of the tube.
                      that's how it lubricates the pistons and the reason for the correct crosshatch pattern when honing.

now trim the motor all the way down, you will now notice the cylinder(tube) is much lower on the spark plug end(sealed) than the crankshaft end (open).
                      as it sits the oil that is on the cyl walls CANNOT drain uphill towards the crank case.
                      old man gravity.

it will however drain past the pistons and rings and ring gaps and collect in the combustion chamber.
                      Old man gravity and mechanical clearance.

this oil will burn off in a puff of smoke at the next restart.
                      perfectly normal and staying inside the laws of physics.

to prevent this, simply trim the motor high enough at engine shutdown so the spark plug end of the cyl (tube) is higher than the crankshaft end .

Comment

A Local Dealer has stated this :

Hi, not the first one I have seen by a long shot and we had to give a guy back his money on an engine that exhibited the exact same problem you have and trust me if it was one in a thousand there would not be a bulletin on it.

I am sure they will get you sorted.

Cheers,

Huey.

Comment

I wonder how many car drivers could handle their vehicle if they stored them on the front bumber with the taillights taking pictures of the stars every night then tried to start them and go to work everyday?

Comment

Working...
                          X