Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Yamaha F150 won't idle

Hello all,

I'm new to this site but I've seen several great write-ups on here. I'm hoping you can help.

I repowered by boat with a 2013 Yamaha F150 with less than 100 hours on it. The engine came off of a commercial boat. Supposedly the guy I bought it from was selling it because he had two right hand rotating engines on his big catamaran and was having trouble docking it. The engine ran great on a stand with solid compression, smooth idle, etc...everything you would want from a nearly new motor.

I installed the new engine on my boat a few months ago along with new Yamaha control cables and the basic Yamaha tachometer. The boat started up fine and I was able to use it for roughly 20 hours until I ran into issues. I was fishing and was heading in at ~4200 RPM's and everything was smooth. All of a sudden the engine died. After examination I realized the fuel bulb was completely sucked dry. Obviously I had sucked in something from my fuel tank that had blocked between the fuel pickup and the fuel bulb. After getting a tow, I brought the boat home and disconnected all of the fuel line and the anti-siphon valve. I also inspected the interior of the tank (with a fuel-safe boroscope) and did not see anything floating and the plastic tank looked remarkably clean. I was unable to remove the fuel pickup tube without damaging the fuel tank so I didn't go any further there.

Next I decided that I should drain the entire fuel system and flush the tank. Luckily I was down to about 30 gallons of fuel so it was a manageable amount. I hooked up my handy dandy 12V fuel pump from the auto parts store and drained all of the contents into several plastic gas jugs. There were no blockage issues while draining the fuel tank and I filtered it through a 10 micron filter. To test the fuel, I first ran it in my KLR 650 and it ran fine. So as not to waste 25 gallons of fuel I ran the rest of that fuel through my truck with absolutely no issues. I also replaced the fuel hose from the boat tank to the filter, replaced the 10micron Racor in the boat, and replaced all fuel lines and fuel bulb to the engine. Once the tank was empty, I set up a circulation loop with new fuel through the tank and circulated 5 gallons for 3 hours with no issues. I drained that fuel out and added 10 gallons of fresh. After feeling pretty good about the boat fuel system I decided to clean out the entire fuel system on the motor.

I started with the main filter on the front of the engine. When I pulled it, it looked clean but I replaced it anyway. I followed the fuel lines back to the two fuel pumps and removed them. They visually looked okay with no perforations or tears in the pump membranes. Next, I removed the VST and completely drained and disassembled it. There was no residue inside it afte removal and the small micron filter was really clean. Next I moved to the fuel rail and flushed it. Finally, I removed all of the injectors and sent them off for cleaning and reinstalled them when I got them back. I also replaced the two F-shaped filters on the engine in case they were clogged. After this I reassembled everything and did a visual inspection for any places there might be a vacuum leak. Like I said before, the engine ran perfectly for 15 hours until I had a blockage of fuel.

After all of this I decided to hook up my boat to a 5 gallon can of brand new fuel and try running it. After priming the bulb, the engine would not start. I though maybe I had an issue with no fuel in the VST so I primed the bulb again and cranked the motor. I was trying to start the engine with throttle in the neutral/idle position, and it still would not start. Next, I moved the throttle forward and got the engine to fire. It would only stay running if I kept the RPM's at >1100. As soon as I let off the throttle it would die. I also noticed that a plastic component on the top of the throttle body was very hot to the touch (I think it is the idle speed control valve).

I am currently a bit mystified at this problem, so I decided that it was time for a trip to the local dealer. I brought it there and told them what had happened to me. I also let them know that I had cleaned my boat's fuel system, but that I wanted them to do a diagnostic with an external tank. I did not mention that I cleaned the entire fuel system as I wasn't sure if this would hurt my warranty. I also mentioned the hot electrical component on top of the throttle body. I dropped the boat off 3 weeks ago and they have not been able to fix the problem. When I spoke with the mechanic, he said the fuel system was very clean so that was not the issue. Next he indicated there was an issue with the throttle position sensor and that he had changed it out. He also indicated he thought the previous owner had messed around with a little idle screw (screw with a torque bit head that I think adjusts the position of the throttle valve). I did not know what screw he was referring to so I told him that so he didn't think I was making adjustments Finally, he indicated the idle speed control valve was stuck @100% open, and he was working on adjusting it and thought he had a fix for it. He also mentioned the spark plugs were pretty black..

My questions are the following? If the engine ran perfectly for 15 hours then died because of a fuel blockage, how could that affect the idle speed control valve and throttle position sensor? Before the fuel blockage occurred, the boat started and idled at ~700 rpm with no problems. Is it possible that whatever I sucked into the fuel system may have caused the idle speed control valve to get stuck open? Is there any other sensor that could be causing the idle speed control to stay stuck at 100%? If the idle speed control valve is stuck at 100% open, shouldn't that mean air is able to get into the throttle and the engine should start up? I don't know if he has done anything with the mass air flow sensor, so I will wait to ask questions on this.

Any help from this forum is very much appreciated.

Update

The technician figured out there was a short in the idle speed control valve. He also adjusted the throttle and reset the position of the throttle position sensor. The engine idles now, and I will be taking it on a sea trial today. I can hear the ISC opening after I shutdown the engine (faint clicking noise) that I don't think was there before. The engine starts up, idles a bit high then slows down which I think is the ISC adjusting per the ECU.

Comment

I have read that a sticking ISC can burn up the ECU.
      Keep an eye on it or rather an ear
      Should hear the ISC reset when turning off , if you stop hearing these things it is time to worry

Comment

sea trial

I took out the boat today. Idled great, left dock and went through the no wake zone no problem. After getting out of no wake zone, I throttled up to WOT with no issues and rode for about 2 miles let off the throttle and it it idled down completely. Next, I throttled up again and it started to really lug and the motor started to shake. I noticed a pretty big stream of gas coming out from the exhaust. I idled back to the dock and brought in the boat. I will keep posting on what happens next.

Comment

it sound like your TPS (throttle position Sensor) is on its way out ,i would be changing it and then doing anything with the ICS as if your TPS is faulty it does two things ,one it will idle and not catch speed and shut down or the other is it wont start and idle but will work at over 1100rpm as you said .

Comment

you can toss the TPS in the creek and the engine will run, will run in a default but it will run.
            the ISC can mechanically stick and over heat the ECU.
            the ISC is not monitored for faults.
            stuck open and it idles high due to the extra air,stuck closed and it wont idle until the throttle valves add air.

once above about 1800 rpm the isc is at 100% and no longer used.
            the TPS simply gives the ECU information on throttle angle.
            based on TPS,MAP and crank position sensors,above 113*F, the ECU determines engine speed and load and adjusts ign timing and injector on time according to its internal mapping.

the only other part the ECU does not monitor is fuel rail pressure, its a CRITICAL part of the EFI system but not monitored.

a quick check of the rail pressure while monitoring the ECU with the laptop can quickly eliminate issues.

Comment

removing the TPS and running in default ,my hind side try it and you will find out what happens,you will have a back fire that you will remember for rest of your life

Comment

with the TPS removed the 4 stroke EFI will default to about 10* BTDC ign timing, idle speed will be high and top speed cannot be reached.

it will run based on CPS or pulser coil inputs.
                fuel is basically fixed.
                will it backfire?
                only if your dumb enough to try to open the throttle when it already told you its broke.

eventually while opening the throttle you may get a lean backfire through the intake.

that being said.
                I have seen several TPS failures that the only complaint was occasional stalling while docking.

Comment

I received the boat back. The top fuel injector was replaced because it was stuck open. The dealer ran the boat at their shop and said everything was fine. I took out the boat for a sea trial and after backing it off the trailer, it stalled when going from reverse to forward (which is not something it had ever done before). I thought maybe it needed to be run at higher RPMs so I continued on the sea trial after restarting the engine. The power was good as I increased throttle, and let it run at WOT for about 5 minutes. After coming down in RPMs the engine started to shake and run really rough with the RPMs dropping down to 500 occasionally. Again I limped back to the dock and brought it back to the dealer. To me it felt like it was getting too much fuel, but there was not a noticeable fuel slick behind the boat.

Is there anything I should be asking the technician that is working on this boat? I don't know how they do their diagnostic work; as in several other forums indicate hooking up a laptop to the engine while running and checking fuel pressure. I don't want to insult the technician because I know he is doing the best he can, but I would like to know how and what they are doing for diagnostic work. Should I call Yamaha directly to see if they can offer assistance? The repairs have been going on 5 weeks--when does the lemon law come into effect?!

Comment

A stuck ISC and now a stuck injector on a low hour used motor and still not fixed, makes you wonder what has been done to this motor and why it really came off that other boat.
                    not sure lemon law would be in play here or not being it was a used motor.

Are they/Yamaha doing the work under warranty?

They should be able to contact Yamaha for help as long as they are a Yamaha shop, but I do not think it would do much good for you to as you do not know every thing they have tried and done.But you could urge them to get some help if they can not find the proper answers

Just a note about the original problem of motor dieing and an empty primer bulb,
                    If there was a restriction between tank pick up and bulb then the bulb should have been sucked flat.
                    If there was air being sucked into the line then the bulb would not be flat, but the VST could run dry and motor would die.
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 10-02-2013, 01:56 PM.

Comment

They are doing the work under warranty which is awesome. I agree, that low hours with the issues I've had makes me think I got a raw deal on the engine. That being said, when it runs wide open it runs well and it ran perfect for 15 hours before I had the fuel system clog. The issue now is a fuel system/idle adjustment or troubleshoot.

Agree with the note about the original problem. I had an empty primer bulb so there was a restriction between tank pick up and the bulb. Restriction was removed, fuel tank was completely drained, brand new fuel flushed through, and new fuel added so I'm feeling pretty confident that the tank is clean. I also did not suck the bulb dry (I checked and the bulb was nice and full) on the last two sea trials with the rough engine.

Comment

So did the primer bulb get sucked flat when it 1st happened or not?

Comment

Yes. The primer bulb was sucked completely flat when I first started having problems.

Comment

CaptSolo

Thanks for the reply. It is possible there was water in the inline filter, but I have since replaced it and dumped all of the old fuel that was in my boat and replaced with new stuff. The mechanic also went through the fuel system (injector cleaning, VST drain, filter changes) and run it on a separate fuel tank and that has not fixed the problem. I'm thinking there is an issue with the way the fuel delivery system is operating.

The way I understand the Yamaha Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) system is that upon turning on the key, the barometric pressure sensor reads the pressure and a temperature sensor reads the temp. These two measurements can give the density measurement to the ECU, and the density measurement correlates with they oxygen content in the air. Next, the ECU looks at the engine speed via the crank position sensor and the position of the throttle (Throttle position sensor-TPS) and the LOAD from the manifold pressure (MAP) sensor to determine the fuel injection pulse timing and the ignition timing for the ECU mapped target engine speed. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that if the crank sensor, barometric pressure sensor, manifold pressure or temperature sensors are not functional, they will throw an error code to the ECU that the mechanic can detect with the Yamaha Diagnostic System (YDS), which I'm confident the mechanics have looked at.

At this time I am thinking that maybe the TPS was incorrectly setup (or misadjusted in one of my shop visits) with respect to the mechanical throttle plates. For instance, if the ECU is receiving a signal that says the throttle are completely open but in actuality (because of misadjustment) are only 85% open then the ECU would increase fuel flow and ignition timing but there would not be enough air coming into the throttle body causing the engine to run rich, bog down, shake and dump fuel out of the exhaust. I'm not a mechanic, but it seems like a plausible explanation to this last problem. Another explanation is that the MAP sensor is giving an incorrect reading to the ECU causing it to map the fuel and ignition pulses to the wrong place on the mapped target engine speed plot. I'm hoping the problems gets solved, and I know its easy to play armchair mechanic when I'm not the one under the gun to finish the work. I appreciate everyone's input and I know the mechanic is working on it the best that he can.

Comment

look on the dealerships wall.
                              you should see a minimum of fuel certs,electrical certs and 4 stroke certs.
                              my wall has them and includes a master tech certification.

yes MAP sensors can fail, easy to monitor.
                              TPS failures are rare.

all of it is easy to monitor and the laptop will save the past 13 minutes of running data.

at the end of the day you must fix your fuel system issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X