Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 200Hp HPDI Oil Transfer Issue

Hi All,

I hope everyone had a great season so far! I have twin 2001 200HP HPDI's (LZ & Z 200TXRZ). Over the past weekend on my way in from offshore, the warning buzzer went off and both motors dropped below 2000 RPM. The motor mounted oil tank on the port motor stopped filling and the oil level fell below the low level line which triggered the low level warning system. When I got back to the dock, I engaged the emergency switch while the ignition key was in the on position and oil started to transfer from the remote tank. This I think is telling me it is not the pump on the remote tank that is the problem. I then switched the oil level senor from the motor that was working and had same result which was no oil transfering when motor is running. It will pump for a few seconds and then stop. Anyone know what it could be based on what I outlined and if you have any advise as to what I should try next. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Billy

The next step is very simple, do a search on here, this has been covered a thousand times now (with your post, make that 1001) look for precision blend, and posts by rodbolt17, they will reveal all in minute detail.

Comment

Realized that after the post thanks for responding!

Comment

replace the filter at the bottom of the outside oil tank,
        you will have to take the tank out to see it

Comment

start simple. pull the sender out of the local tank and manipulate the float by hand to see if your float works. if it transfers oil when you move it with your finger than move on back through the system towards the remote tank. Also, while in your in the local tank, check your strainer for any curve or distortion that would cause the float to hang up anywhere. i just had to replace my strainer becuase it was bent some how causing the float to stick in either the up or down position.

if the emergency manual switch pumps oil than does that mean the remote tank filter is fine? that would make sense to me.

also check the wiring harness coming out of the local oil tank for a good tight, clean connection. i was getting limp mode but no alarm until i double checked the connection.

while the engine is running, unplug this wiring harness (make sure you have oil in the local tank first) and check for full power. clean connections and plug back in and recheck for full power again.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I will do some additional test this weekend and will let you know what I find.

Thanks

Comment

when you pull the engine oil tank switch, make sure the tank is empty or any debris in the tank will travel down the oil intake pipe and potentially cause a malfunction of the oil pump.
              make sure you retrieve and REPLACE the oil tank filter seal.

you can move that switch till the cows come home and unless the engine is running not much is going to happen.
              the only way that system works automatically is if SW2 is closed and the ECU sees a pulser coil input signal.

a quick test is to drain the engine tank via the water trap.
              make sure the remote tank is at least 1/2 full.
              turn the key to on.
              tach should blink all three bars,audible will come on and the transfer pump will run for 180 seconds and should refill the engine tank before it times out.

Comment

Rodbolt..thanks....I drained the oil in the tank and the pump kicked on but it stopped filling once the oil passes the low oil line on the tank and buzzer turns off. I checked the sensor on the remote tank and it showed continuity when the float was at the bottom. One thing I noticed was when the pump turned on the stream was weak as compared to the starboard engine. Took a few minutes to fill pass the low oil line.

Comment

Sounds like it timed out maybe.
                  I would be looking for a restriction

Comment

Has the strainer been replaced in the last 12 years?

Comment

Rodbolt17 - 99yam40 - Boscoe99

Thanks for the repys...Makes sense! I will check for restrictions. The strainer has not been changed. I actually pulled the old one off earlier today and shot it with some sea foam to see if it will clear out if clogged. It obvouisly didn't work because I got the same issue. Waiting for a new one to come in and next time I go down I will check the tube before strainer if anything is jamed up in there as well as the port in the oil tank where the oil first comes out.

Just to confirm, the transfer pump first turns on when the float on the main oil senor goes from position a to b. The transfer pump runs on a time interval (180 sec) and fills the tank. Our issue was that the restriction in the oil flow didn't allow the transfer pump to fill the main oil tank before the pump timed out. Instead of the float going from posistion B to A the engine burned more than the transfer pump was pumping into the tank and the float went from b to c, therefore triggering the low oil level alarm.

Is this correct?

Hopefully this solves the problem.

Thanks for the help
                      Billy

Comment

How long did you hear it pump for? It should pump for 180 seconds to get to the fill line. If it pumps for that long and still doesn't fix it that may point you in a certain direction maybe.

Comment

------------
                          Last edited by boscoe99; 09-29-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replys...will be back at this mid week waiting on some filters.

Seacraft-yes motor did run for 180 secs but based on the flow coming out so weak tank didn't fill much.

Comment

Just want to say thank you for all the advise. The oil strainer on remote tank was partially clogged. Put new one in today and everything works fine now.

Thanks
                              Billy

Comment

Working...
                              X