1996 Yamaha 200 Salt Water series Idle Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Yamaha 200 Salt Water series Idle Issue

Ok hopefully one of you guys out there might have some input on what the issue might be with my motor....... The last four times out it has been a little harder to start the motor now it to the point where it idles rough at about 600-500 and shuts off. Runs really well at wide open throttle just donsent idle right and slightly rough. The carbs were cleaned about a year ago but I don’t think that is the issue I believe it’s the plugs just wondering your guy’s thoughts....? Many thanks

Dusky

clean the trash out of a carb today and get some more in it the next time you push fuel into it and you get to do it all again.
    Sorry, just cause you cleaned them a year ago means nothing

You need to test things to see if there is a problem with compression, spark or timing.
    If all OK the on to fuel

Comment

Ok thanks for that I have checked the compression and it was fine, after I pulled the plugs and checked there gap they were at 0.025. Unfortunately I don’t have the owner’s manual got one on order but what I have read from others threads is the proper setting is 0.035 do you have and input about that? Thanks again.
      Dusky

Comment

smaller gap means lower voltage spark which would be colder in my opinion

Comment

With a colder spark with that effect the actual starting and running of the engine? I am having a small idle issue right now and Im not sure if I am getting a enough spark. Do you think the gap being off by that much would effect the engine? thanks agian.

Comment

clean and adjust to proper spec and see if it helps.
            Most problems a fuel related, but you have to look to make sure

Comment

You say you think it is the plugs (I don't) but plugs are so simple to rule out, replace them! cant get much easier than that, they are cheap and easy to do, do not clean them, I find cleaning to be not all that good. After doing that, then buy some carb kits and fix the problem.

Comment

Yeah you were right I wasn't the plugs but changing them did make a difference, it was the carbs cleaned them and now she idles like a champ thanks for the input.

Dusky

Comment

Working...
                X