Trim cylinder leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim cylinder leak

Hello, I have a 1988 Yamaha 130 that has developed a leak.(130ETXG) Seems to be leaking between the housing and the trim cylinder end screw.

After twenty five years my guess some o rings need replaced. Is this a job that can be handled by a do it yourselfer? Do I have to make a tool to get off the trim cylinder end screw?

Thanks for the help,

Drew

Bringing this back to the top

Comment

I've tried various tools but on the ones that have been on there for 20+ yrs in salt water, I end up using a drift and a hammer in the holes at an angle to get it off. Spray it with PBlaster as you go. Usually ruins the cap but a new cap and seals is what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
        I've tried various tools but on the ones that have been on there for 20+ yrs in salt water, I end up using a drift and a hammer in the holes at an angle to get it off. Spray it with PBlaster as you go. Usually ruins the cap but a new cap and seals is what you need.
        Thanks BQUICK, This is a northern fresh water boat. I thought maybe a cheap tool could be had to get it off. My first thought was a pair of channel locks but I did not want to bugger it up.

Comment

You might be able to use an adjustable pin wrench from Harbor Freight then if freshwater. That's what I use on newer motors.

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
            You might be able to use an adjustable pin wrench from Harbor Freight then if freshwater. That's what I use on newer motors.
            Thanks, I will look into that. I have a HF store nearby.

Comment

Working...
            X