Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil question.

Hi All,
    This is may be a silly question but I heard on the jetty on the weekend that an oil injected Yamaha leans its oil down to about 125-1 ratio at idle. The advice was to add a few ounces of oil to the fuel tank to protect the motor in case of an oil pump failure and to give more lube at idle. Apart from increased smoke, I would be interested to know what the forum thinks about this, or recommend?
    I am running a Yam 130 BETO '99 model.
    - Thanks.
    Last edited by Speedcop; 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate!
    Challenger 16ft - 1999 Yamaha 130 BETO

While it may not hurt, apart from maybe a bit more oil usage, smoke and combustion chamber carbon build up, some or all of which may not be of concern to any particular boater, I don't see it being necessary or beneficial.

The Yam oiling system has proven itself to be reliable and effective. I operate on the basis that if it ain't broke don't go fixing it.

Many of the smaller non oil injected motors are designed to run at 100 to 1 ratios. Even at WOT. But here in states people are afraid of their motors being damaged from a lack of oil so they may run 75 or even 50 to 1. If it gives them peace of mind then so be it.

Think of this. Yam warrants their two strokes here in the states for two years. Hours are unlimited. An additional one, two and three years of product protection is also available. A guy could put five thousand hours on his motor if he had the bucks, time and inclination to do so. Do you think Yam would offer to cover any oil system related engine damage if they were not fully confident of the oil system and fuel/oil ratios?

But again, if it brings peace of mind then do it.

Comment

Oil question answer.

Hi Boscoe,
      Thank you for a comprehensive and knowledgeable reply!
      I agree with your sentiments 100%
      Here in South Africa, Yamaha has close to 45% of the outboard market. My opinion is that there's very good reason for this. I have often heard that once you have owned a Yamaha, you will never use anything else! I believe this to be true as many will tell you Yamaha is renowned for value and reliability. I am certainly happy with my 130hp performance in terms of quality, fuel consumption and reliability.
      Thanks for the feedback! I won't be adding any oil to the fuel!!
      I'll trust Yamaha to do the job!!
      By the way, in this motor and previous Yamaha's, I have been using Fuchs (TCW-3) outboard oil with no adverse affects, very little carbonation and almost no smoke on start-up and running. The price is also very competitive as I buy in bulk.
      Thanks again,
      Dennis.

Comment

just make sure to drain the water trap as Yamaha recommends and run often to keep the oil clean and fresh

Comment

The oil injection system actually varies the ratio from 200-1 to 50-1 from idle to full throttle.

Comment

Yamaha oil injection system was one of the best until Evinrude Etec came around which has made other outboard companies go back to the drawing board ,less to say if you have doubt about the oil injection system its very easy to disconnect the injection system and go straight to pre-mix fuel

Comment

Oil question.

Thank you to madharchod, BQUICK, 99yam40, and boscoe99 for the good advice!
              "Ratio from 200-1 to 50-1 from idle to full throttle." - Gee! Shows what fine tolerances and fine engineering Yamaha has!
              99yam40, I drained the engine oil tank while I was checking the oil level sensor. - Thanks!
              I still maintain Yamaha is the best!
              Thanks to all for the assistance and advice.
              Dennis.

Comment

Working...
              X