Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used motor checkout (2001 EFI 150)

Hi folks,

I broused the first 5 pages before posting this request and only saw one similar request about a 2000 model, so here it goes for me...

Wednesday I demo a 2001 Century/Yamaha package. The motor is the 150 Fuel injected 2 stroke.

The big, broad question: are there any known issuses with this motor/package?

On a lesser note, I notice on the Yamaha site that there are quite a few models of 150 listed. Are these mostly shaft length differences or will anyone helping me here need a more specific model number (beyond the fact that it's an EFI model) to really help with my request?

Next question: is there an easy way to check hours on the engine? And if the mechanic can pull the data, what would be acceptable? I guess along with this line of questioning, are there any major service cycles to be faced; any of such I should check to see if performed?

The motor inside the cowling is very clean, and not from a recent back lot pressure washing. Compression is great/balanced. Lower units are lower units and this one checks out. My questions refer more to the top end/power head/electronics/fuel/oil management.

I guess my request nets out to: If you were thinking of buying this package, what questions would you be asking, and what things would you be looking for?

Thanks in advance for all your help! I'm a flats guy who just found the glory of digging grouper! I'm planning on taking this thing out to 60 ft off Anclote Island. (should make sense to any left coast Floridians

Steve

Both the Century and Yamaha 150 have a great track record I think you will be happy with it. Anytime you are buying a used boat check it all over kick the tires, stomp on boat floor, beat on transom to make sure solid (no rotten wood). Check compression on engine, check oil in lower unit,make sure no water in oil, metal on drain screw magnet. There are 3 different fuel systems used on Yamaha 150 engines in 2001 carb(V150) engine, OX66(SX150) fuel injection and HPDI(Z150) fuel injection(you can go to http://www.yamaha-motor.com/ to get more information on models and owners manual). If you have the Z150 HPDI engine then it can be connected to computer(YDIS computer system) to get history and operatated hours, the other models will not connect to computer.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Steve,
      What boats.net said.
      Also, check that prop shaft carefully - you don't want it to be bent even the slightest. Put the motor in neutral and spin the prop by hand - you can eyeball it good enough - look at the center of the shaft - if it's out of round, it will show.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken and B.N!

All things look good so far. They are repairing some lighting electrical connections currently. I will be getting a test drive Wednesday at 2:00pm. I did in fact check the prop shaft first thing. The compression shows 125 across all six buckets, and the lower unit grease is just fine. So the ride on Wednesday will tell me plenty more. If that ride goes well I might end up owning this thing! Anyway, I am quite happy to have found this site. I'm sure I'll be around to ask a few more questions along the way. I wish I had more to give in return.

If anyone would like to know something about fly fishing the flats I can help! Maybe some folks here would like to consider my how-to videos on the subject. Some of the titles are:

FlyFishing for Dummies; Snag your dock line, outboard cowling, and right ear all on your first trip out!

Snapping your Homemade Pushpole (When PVC attacks)

Zen and the Art of Salt Water Fly Fishing (Catching reds by making them laugh so hard they choke on the water and float belly up next to the boat!)

...and my favorite

Hooked on Mangroves!

These vids are all keepers!

j/k

Again, thanks so much.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X