over temp horn problem solved 90 yam 2 /

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over temp horn problem solved 90 yam 2 /

thanks to all who offered advise regarding my over heating alarm going off over 4000 rpm

after having the water pump ,thermostat, popet and replaced , the final cause was a corrosion hole in the top cyclinder just under the spark plug area (which was by the pocket for the sensor).this was found after I had removed the head and exaust plates and cleaned out the salt deposits in the block etc using a mild acid solution .The salt in the head was removed an the cause was found. this was not fixed as I did not see the extent of the damage so I reassembled the motor, fitted new head gasket etc and went fishing and the bloody horn still went off.
    I removed the thremostat and problem when away.
    But I was not happy so I removed the head and was trying to find what was the cause when an old mate of mine picked up the head and pointed the hole out.I have had it resin filled with a pratley system resin ,used in car heads and so far so good. hoping this might be of some use to other yam 90 owners

Lew,
    I just reviewed your posts on the overheat problem - man, you have gone to a lot work to get it fixed!
    You are now the Yamaha expert in New Zealand !
    Sorry you had to go to so much trouble - but thanks for the feedback - I'm sure your experience will help someone else in the future.
    A corrosion hole could happen, I guess, anywhere in the water jacket system - in the head or cylinder assembly, but I think it is fairly rare.
    Had the motor been flushed out with fresh water after each use? I always flush mine out after a salt water trip - I let it run long enough for the thermostats to open up so that the heads will get plenty of fresh water, about ten minutes on average.
    Good luck - I hope you get to enjoy your motor now instead of working on it so much [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken for your reply ,still think yam's are the best motor .It does one thing most other outboards don't do!!! START first time EVERY time. even my 8hp is the same>
      Regards Lew

Comment

Working...
      X