15MSH runs rough at light load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15MSH runs rough at light load

2010 15MSH 2 stroke. Bought used with low hours. Stock prop. Fresh 87 octane straight gasoline, 100:1 Yamalube. Starts first pull almost every time. Idles well in and out of gear. Idle speed in gear ~800 RPM. Runs smooth up to ~1100 RPM. Between ~1200 and ~1900 it's rough, almost like one cylinder is misfiring. From ~2000 it evens out again and is smooth up to full throttle at ~5200 RPM light boat. I see no mention of carb adjustments in the factory service manual. I didn't expect this roughness from a Yamaha, is it normal?
    Robert
    1993 Bayliner 3288, 2012 AB 9.5AL RIB, 2010 Yamaha 15MSH

Same thing happening for me past few years

Hi,

My 2008 15MSH ran flawless for the first two years. The past 2-3 years I have been having similar rough running. What I discovered was crap in the carburetor bowl seemed to be intermittently plugging the jets. I started cleaning the bowl out several times a year to resolve the problem. I have a racor filter in line so the crap is not coming from the gas. Eventually I traced it down to ethanol in the gas causing moisture/corrosion in the carburetor bowl. You get white like crystals that form, aluminum oxide I suspect in the bowl. Running ethanol free gas has helped reduce the frequency but even then if I don't finish a tank of gas in a few months condensation probably forms so water comes back. I wish someone sold a carburetor bowl that was teflon or plastic coated that would protect the aluminum from oxidizing.

Comment

Working...
    X