Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting engine..need to sprits the carb throats with gas/oil..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting engine..need to sprits the carb throats with gas/oil..

So I have gone through the entire fuel delivery system on both engines. from the fuel tank to the hand-off at the engine have been completely replaced...fuel pump, fuel lines (to include the lines feeding from the pump to the carbs), filters, and primer bulbs....I have one engine that refuses to start without a quick shot (as in barely misting) of starter fluid (gas/oil mixed..aka home made starter fluid). All 4 cylinders on the 1996 Saltwater Series 130HP engine are at 133-130 so I have what I believe is sufficient compression (the other engine is nearly identical cyl per cyl but starts without issue). I cleaned the carbs, then cleaned them again but the second time I used an ultrasonic parts cleaner...still I have to spritz some gas/oil mix into the throat in order to get it to start.

Once it's started once it will run now, and after a cool down (fishing) start right up without issue.

Thoughts, comments, HELP!!!

Thanks in advance,

thoughts?
    choke is not working correctly.

Comment

I've got one that does similar....you can crank and crank (choke closed)....nothing. A little shot of starting fluid and it roars to life and runs perfect rest of day. Only use it a coule times a year so it's not a big issue but would like to know what it might be. (carbs were cleaned completely). I'm thinking float level issue?

Comment

rodbolt17,

How would I confirm this. They are completely closed just like the other engine. Should they be slightly open when fully choked? Since I have the air box off, I'm manually choking it.

Thanks in advance,

Comment

The outer butterflys should be closing fully when hitting the choke.

This cuts back the air allowed into the engine thus allowing extra fuel to be pulled into the engine enrichening it(choke).

I believe you have a solenoid for the choke assemblies which should be closing both carb buterflys fully.

If the choke butterflys (both carbs) are closing fully, you may try slightly different cold throttle settings (the throttle lever itself) when starting (either open slightly more or less). I'd likely be leaning towards opening the main throttle handle a little more (with the choke closed) to pull more fuel into the engine.. (more vacuum to pull fuel from the float bowls)

I know my neighbors 200 yamaha , 2 stroke, carbed is very tempermental just with the throttle control when starting cold.

The spritz of "starting fluid" (to start the engine) is confirming your not getting enough fuel upon start up obviously.

Please post your results / fix and good luck.
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-28-2013, 07:41 AM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X