No announcement yet.

'92 55hp shifting issues i think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this online. Great source for outboard capacities.

http://www.boatingbuddy.com/pdf/GEAR...y%20Charts.pdf

Comment

Its accurate!

My F150 takes 33 oz.

They sell it in 32 oz containers
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

http://www.boatingbuddy.com/pdf/GEAR...y%20Charts.pdf

Great chart of capacities.

Comment

Sorry. Didn't see my other post on there. I'll send you an extra ounce out of my jug. I only need 17oz. ;-)

Comment

Thanks Steve but I spill more than that!!!

Next time I may look at the Evnrude LU oil. Its supposed to last 3 years, probably synthetic...
            Scott

Comment

When I replace a bolt that mounts the LU to the mid section, does need to be a certain grade? SS, galv, zinc?

Comment

I mean, is it something I can get at the hardware store or do I need to go to a Yamaha parts store?

Comment

Finally removed the broken off bolt!!! What a long arduous process. Started with a couple days of soaking in pb blaster and tapping with a hammer. Tried vise grips, ha ha. Couple more days of pb and tapping. Took a piece of flat steel bar(tension bar from a chain link fence) about 1/8" x 5/8". Drilled a 3/8" hole on one end. Slipped the hole over the broken off bolt and welded on. While tapping on bolt slowly rotated bar CCW. Sheared off another 1/8" of the bolt. No kidding. Couldn't get the bolt out of the hole. It was completely welded in. Drilled another 3/8" hole at the other end of the bar. Welded on. This time weld broke, but left more material on the bolt. Went to hardware store to find correct nut to thread on and weld(yes I still had about 4 threads on the bolt. Couldn't find the correct nut. Bought the closest thing to try and force on just to be nice to the local hardware store guy(43 cents whoopee) even though I have a drawer full of them at home. Didn't work. Retapped the bolt to a pitch I had a nut for. Welded it on. No luck. Finally redrilled the second hole in the bar. Welded it on intent to break somewhere other than my weld. Tapped pretty firm with a hammer while slowly applying pressure and voila!! A little screech and squeal from some metals that haven't been separated in a while and it came on out.

Comment

Trying to post a pic.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just having the galvanize finish makes it difficult and stinky (dangerous fumes) to weld but at least you hade some stud to work with, great job.

re the bolt, galvanized is too sloppy, not sure about the SS. IMHO, I'd get an OEM bolt. I believe Yamaha wants motor oil on clean threads when re-assembling for proper torque values...

A SS temp bolt would be ok, but I'd be nervous leaving it in, especially if your running in the salt water...

Your getting closer!
                      Scott

Comment

Thanks. I've waited this long and done the work. I'm getting an oem bolt tomorrow(or Monday if I don't make it by noon). I was planning on putting anti-seize on the threads before mounting. I have not purchased a manual yet. As far as torque specs go, any place I should look for them? I'll google it soon and probably find another great chart online. If not ill go by "feel" until I get the real numbers. Thanks for all the help along the way. I can almost feel the wind in my hair as we speed across the water.

Comment

Originally posted by strucksteve View Post
                          Thanks. I've waited this long and done the work. I'm getting an oem bolt tomorrow(or Monday if I don't make it by noon). I was planning on putting anti-seize on the threads before mounting. I have not purchased a manual yet. As far as torque specs go, any place I should look for them? I'll google it soon and probably find another great chart online. If not ill go by "feel" until I get the real numbers. Thanks for all the help along the way. I can almost feel the wind in my hair as we speed across the water.
                          My F150 is 34 ft lbs (or good and very snug is fine). You've seen how sturdy those threads are... PM sent
                          Scott

Comment

DO NOT try for 34 ft pounds on any bolt less than 10mm.
                            simply use a decent water proof grease on reassembly.
                            I could drip and tap it in about 1/3 the time you spent .

I your service manual there is torque specs for both specific and non specific fasteners.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              DO NOT try for 34 ft pounds on any bolt less than 10mm.
                              simply use a decent water proof grease on reassembly.
                              I could drip and tap it in about 1/3 the time you spent .

I your service manual there is torque specs for both specific and non specific fasteners.
                              Thanks rodbolt. That's why you are a pro and I'm a DIY/shadetree mechanic working on my own piece of junk I picked up for next to nothing. I haven't even heard of the "drip and tap" method. I did, however, pick up that bolt this morning. As soon as my baby girl goes down for a nap, you can bet I'm headed out to the carport to reinstall my LU with that bolt, waterproof grease, and some great knowledge you and the other kind folk on this website have blessed me with.

Comment

Got it!! Baby is sleeping and LU is on! Shifting is perfect!
                                I can't thank you guys enough! It's pretty amazing to me how so much good info can be in one place. Cheers to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X