'92 55hp not turning off. please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '92 55hp not turning off. please help

Hey folks. I'd like to start off by thanking the kind folks here for taking the time to help us newbies get on the water.
    I have a 1992 55hp C55ELRQ with 703 controls. When I turn the key off, pull it out, and remove the safety kill switch/lanyard, the motor continues to run. I am able to kill it by manually pushing the throttle control lever under the cowling as far aft as it will go. I recently bought this motor and have only started it twice in the driveway while trying to get it going. I have been tinkering with this in my spare time since January and feel like I am getting very close to getting on the water. Thanks in advance for any help.

check for continuity from engine ground to the white wire at the CDI unit with the key off and the white wire disconnected.
    if its open then go find the open,white to keyswitch,switch or black from switch back to engine.
    if you have less than 2 ohms the CDI has an internal failure.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm a little confused, though. I disconnected the white wire from the cdi at the connections panel. The circuit is open from that white wire to engine ground with the key off. I'm assuming that the wire it connects to runs up to the key switch then back to engine ground to complete a circuit. Should that circuit be closed when the switch is off, and open when the switch is on?
      Attached Files

Comment

key switch takes the white wire to engine ground to shut it off.

Comment

Copy. I took apart the controls and metered through each switch and the connections. Now, after reattaching all the connections, I DO get a closed circuit at the engine between the white wire coming from the key switch to engine ground when the key is off or the safety lanyard is pulled. Maybe one of the connections was weak or I had a bend in a bad wire somewhere. Now I'll put it all back together and check it for function. Thanks for your help!!

Comment

Working...
          X