T9.9 Carb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T9.9 Carb Question

I have two T9.9 4 stroke engines, EXRY from 2000. I've had starting, idling and running problems with them for several years that were mostly resolved when I stopped having the yard clean the carburetors and sent them off to a dealer for cleaning.

When they came back, the dealer had drilled out a seal over the air adjusting screw. I presume that was to clean the very tiny air passage that seems to go through the carburetor. The seal wasn't replaced.

In looking at the parts diagram, from 1999 onward the seal has been replaced by a small o ring and a plug (numbers 44 and 45 on the diagram). The plug seems to be a small brass disk with a hole in it. I don't have anything above the air adjusting screw. Are these necessary or desirable?

(I say my problems were mostly resolved because mid season I've had to take the carbs off and clean them again, even though I have 10 micron filters. But cleaning them resolved my issues.)

I never put them back.
    that plug is mandatory for EPA motors since 1998.
    that's why when you look in the manual for the correct A/F mixture screw setting it usually says EPA . we find about 3.5-4 turns is about right.

Comment

Working...
    X