Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas/oil leak

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    A 10 year old motor with only 400 hours and never had water pump replaced, do not be surprised if there is a problem dropping lower unit also.
    They need to be pulled and lubed up more often than 10 years.

Shaft and bolts can stick and cause major problems
    The engine is a 2007. The gear oil was changed and the water pump and shaft lubricated in 2011 with about 200 hours on the engine. I switched to full synthetic oil when I changed the oil last fall. Wonder if that had anything to do with the oil seal leak?

Comment

take a good flash light.
      look at the driveshaft area where it meets the shaft seal.
      if its dry hunt a different rabbit.
      look aft and slightly below the tiller shaft and most the drive shaft /seal area is observable.
      its also where I use the sawzall to separate the upper from the midsection on neglected rigs.
      that's where you cut the drive shaft .

Comment

Originally posted by rmartin00 View Post
        The engine is a 2007.
        This is the problem with posting on someone elses old thread,
        this thread is about a 2004 motor and you posted your question on it

Comment

gas/oil leak solved

I posted here asking the original poster if he had found out the problem. The post just kind of took off from there. I do appreciate all the good advise and interest.

Here is the fix for the oil leak. Pull power head and remove and rebuild the oil pump. Replace all seals and gaskets. Repair corroded holes in exhaust tube and replace exhaust tube seal. Reassemble. While it was torn down I had the water pump assembly and the oil and air filter replaced. Total labor including haul out and return to slip 11 hours, $660. Total parts 389.30 including oil, filters, seals and gaskets. Tax 25.30. Grand total $1074.60.
          Last edited by rmartin00; 09-29-2014, 10:28 PM.

Comment

If they replaced your air filter, you may want to see the old one..

Glad its fixed, nice and dry?
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

gas/water leak solved

Thanks TownsendsFJR1300.

The service tech did return the old water pump assembly. He is very reputable and does a good business at the Marina where I keep the boat.

It would only take one incident and word would spread.
              Last edited by rmartin00; 09-30-2014, 12:50 PM. Reason: remove thumbsdown

Comment

Originally posted by rmartin00 View Post
                Thanks TownsendsFJR1300.

The service tech did return the old water pump assembly. He is very reputable and does a good business at the Marina where I keep the boat.

It would only take one incident and word would spread.
                I was messin with ya, there is NO air filter on an outboard engine...
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

gas/oil leak solved

I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I am not familiar enough with the engine to know it did not have an air filter. I told him to replace all the filters.

I checked the work order and there is only an oil filter listed.

I took the boat out today for about 4 hours. It ran beautiful. About 46 MPH, GPS at WOT. Cruises at 30MPH at 4100RMP. No sign of any leaks anywhere.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Comment

Working...
                  X