Yamaha F115,diagnostic code 13,ukn alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F115,diagnostic code 13,ukn alarm

Long story short is I hit a rock with my port eng while traveling about 17 mph. Eng shut off. It would start, but not run. Approx. 15 mins later it started and ran fine. Shut both engs off for several hrs while fishing. Later on same day when heading into the ramp same port eng shut off while underway. Same as earlier, the port eng would start, but not run. Approx. 15 mins later it started and ran fine. I removed cowling and looked over eng and did not notice anything out of the ordinary.

This week (one week after the above) I took the boat out and both engs ran great. I returned home after approx. 7 hrs of being underway *****ing with both engs running. While I was home running and flushing the port eng on ears an alarm sounded. I shut the eng off and attempted to restart. It would start, but would not run. I conducted a YDS check today on both engs and noticed that the port eng readout showed a diagnostic code 13 (Pulser coil) in the Diagnosis Record at 442.3 hrs. The port eng has 448 hrs, so this error occurred while I was out this last trip. The starboard engine does not have this error code and is running great.

I have been told that it could be a temperature issue. I checked the thermostats and they were slightly corroded. I noticed that they were both in the open position. I ran a check on them with boiling water. Both eng thermostats open in hot water. Only one of them close after running it under tap water. I have a pair on order and will change them out. (they need it regardless). I inspected the PCV today as well. Both engs were the same. The Compression Spring, Pressure Control Valve and Grommets appeared fine.

Both water pumps were replaced in April this yr and have a strong discharge.

Any advise or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Tks so much - Tim

Check that the grounding didn't loosen the flywheel, break the woodroffe key.

That could explain a code 13. Pulsar signal lost while underway and engine will keep running at fixed timing but won't start if a hard failure.
    Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
    16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

if the ECU sees a pulser coil signal loss on that engine it will lock base timing at 10*btdc and run off the CPS signal.
      idle will be high and top speed cannot be reached.
      time to test the pulser coil output voltages.
      there are two pulser coils.

Comment

Thank you both for the feedback.

Comment

quick check of the flywheel key.
          remove the plugs.
          insert a long screwdriver in #1.
          carefully rotate the flywheel until the screwdiver backs out all the way yet hasn't started back in.
          then look at your flywheel and block timing marks.
          should be very close to TDC.

Comment

Gents,

Before I began to look into the mentioned issue I attempted to start and run the engine. I put ears on it and it started and ran like a champ for 5+ mins with no alarm or issues at all. (Weird)

I removed plug #1 and put screwdriver in hole as instructed. It backed the driver out and I checked the TDC mark. Tried it twice and it was w/in +2 TDC.

I do not have a Peak Voltage Adapter,Pulsar Coil Test Harness, or Flywheel Puller. I can grab a Flywheel Puller tomm (Mon) from the auto parts store. I need one anyhow to check the woodruff keys and check that the grounding didn't loosen the flywheel.

What are your thoughts on testing the Pusar Coils w/out a Adapter / Harness?

Tks so much.

Comment

peak voltage adapter you need. the flywheel key is fine.
              if you wish to get closer on your quick check you can use a dial indicator but its not worth it.
              in some cases you can use small straightened paper clips when do electrical tests.

Comment

Working...
              X