fuel gauge /sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel gauge /sender

does a fuel gauge determine the amount or the sender, does any gas gauge work with any sender or are there specific such as tank size for gauge ,does a sender go by amount of tank . when ordering for new parts is it just gauge will match with any sender you buy or ?? to me it seems like they would have to match.

A sender changes its resistance as it moves from empty to full, and vice versa. The resistance change has to match the values that the gauge is designed for.

So yes, the sender type has to match the gauge type.

Most US senders will work with US gauges.

A popular type of sender today is made by WEMA. It is basically a round float on a stick. As the fuel rises and falls the float rises and falls. As the float rises and falls the resistive output of the sender changes. The gauge converts that resistance to a point on the gauge between empty and full.

If you need a new sender simply measure the depth of your tank. Call WEMA and they will send you one of the correct length. Install it and connect the two wires from your gauge. That's it. Pretty simple.

Comment

fuel ? sender

back to my 93 lund ,i guess i jumped ahead to far.yes my fuel gauge is not working . i just got to back of dash before it got dark out.last thing i read was that chances are high that its a sender gone bad but i wanted to test some wires first . so its a lund boat and yamaha outboard does that mean the dash gauges are yamahas . any pointers on the gauge not working.might just order a new one cause its 20 years old.

Comment

no, someone could have put any brand of gauges in.
        need to look at gauges and find make and model

Comment

Take the sender out of the equation. Turn on power to the gauge with the sender not being connected. The pointer will swing full scale in one direction or the other. I always forget which way. Then, jumper the sender wire to ground. The needle should swing all the way to the other side of the scale. If so, it is the sender or wiring to the gauge from the sender.

Comment

disconnected sender with key on needle didn't move, took pink and black together from sender and needle didn't move.. there is a lite for gauge that lite and that's it. all done with motor not running and key on.

Comment

Working...
            X