Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the steering shaft

Hi.

First of all I hope I'm not repeating a question but I've searched the forum and found nothing.

Recently the steering shaft on my outboard broke.

I haven't been able to get a quote from the local Yamaha dealer to fix this so I'm planning on doing it myself.
    The shift shaft runs inside this shaft (which actually kept the motor from falling off) so it seems I will have to remove the power unit and maybe the drive unit as well...

I'd like to know if anyone can guide me so that I take apart the minimum amount of stuff.

I'm attaching a diagram that shows the part I'm referring to and a couple of pictures that show the problem.

Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tiago
    Attached Files

Powerhead, lower unit and mid section will have to be removed to replace shaft.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Powerhead, lower unit and mid section will have to be removed to replace shaft.
      Thanks for the info.

Any gaskets I should be looking at replacing while doing this? from the service manual I can't see any, but I would assume there would be one in the lower unit...

Comment

Well... I went ahead and removed the steering shaft. I don't have a garage so i did it on the boat...

No gasket on the lower unit, there's a rubber seal on the engine mount that looks good.

My question:

That hole in the middle, which I believe is the exhaust, seems to have a lot of dirt in it.
        What is the best way to deal with that?

Comment

One more question...

There's different kinds of grease used in different parts...

The steering shaft had a thick yellowish goo.
          The lower unit screws had a copperish compound in the threads.
          The engine has both a brown and a green grease in different areas.

Any guidance in what to use?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comment

copper products are not good around aluminum housings

Comment

Working...
            X