Analog Speedometer Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog Speedometer Problem

I have a Yamaha 6Y7-83510-30-00 Speedometer that doesn't register. I've cleared the tube and the plastic vane. I cleared the tube from the back of the unit out to the plastic vane, so as not to blow into the unit's diaphram. I am not sure how this unit works so maybe someone could help. A manual would help, too.

As the boat is moving through the water it impacts upon a Pitot tube. Water pressure is created within the hose to the speedometer and that water pressure is converted to air pressure.

Air pressure acting upon the gauge causes the needle to indicate speed through the water.

With the boat out of the water have someone blow as hard as they can into the Pitot tube. You should be able to observe the needle indicating an increase in speed.

If you have verified that the hose from the gauge back to the Pitot tube is free and clear, yet the gauge does not change speed with the application of air pressure, then I would presume that the gauge is failed.

As general knowledge, the speedometer should be mounted so that it is always above the pressure line that leads to the device. This will ensure that water can drain out of the line and that water will never get to the gauge itself. Water getting to the gauge can damage it.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I cleared the hose and what I could of the Pitot tube. the tube appears to have a hollow shaft to just above the end, and then turns and faces forward. It all looks clear. I'll try placing pressure on the tube towards the speedometer to see if it moves.

Comment

Working...
      X