high temp alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high temp alarm

folks @yop, I have a 96 or 97 200v6 2 stroke, recently replaced implellor/plugs/thermostas, fired her up hoping to kill the alarm, still goes off, pulled the temp sensors that plug into water jacket, alarm still sounds off, she has always had a sensitive alarm ie. idleing any suggestions?
    thanks so much
    dave

What does "pulled the temp sensors" mean? Did you actually disconnect and remove them from the motor but still get the alarm?

Have you tested the thermoswitches to make sure they open and close when they are supposed to?

When was the last time that the pressure control valve was inspected/replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      What does "pulled the temp sensors" mean? Did you actually disconnect and remove them from the motor but still get the alarm?

Have you tested the thermoswitches to make sure they open and close when they are supposed to?

When was the last time that the pressure control valve was inspected/replaced?
      Boscoe, thermos are brand new, no left the temp sensors on wire but pulled from block, where is the pressure control valve, sorry not a outboard mechanic, I no enough to get in trouble tho. thanks dave

Comment

The pressure control valve is normally closed at low RPM's. It opens at higher RPM's, when water pressure builds up to some value and forces the valve to open. It controls the pressure insofar as it bypasses water that is not needed through the block in order to keep the pressure from getting too high.

If the spring on the valve is weak it will open prematurely. This allows water to escape the block that is needed for cooling. One sign of a bad pcv is if a motor over temps at low RPM's but not at high RPM's.

The valve, grommet and spring are located on the exhaust cover plate. It is down low and to the right. Here is an illustration of one. See items 21 thru 25. Normally the valve, grommet, gasket and spring are replaced as a set. If you get a new valve it will more than likely be of a different configuration. New ones have a mushroom head that goes towards the grommet. The X portion goes into the spring.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html
        Last edited by boscoe99; 08-18-2013, 01:42 PM.

Comment

hitemp alarm

boscoe, thanks so much will pull the cowling and give her look over

Comment

hi temp alarm

boscoe pull her, doesn't look to bad, little hard water build up on spring, didn't pull grommet that goes into housing, what goes bad on em? thanks, dave

Comment

hi temp alarm

boscoe should I dump some CLR down the port? I run in salt water here in NEfl. and the water I flush with is hard, what I can see in housing as well as down into block looks relatively clean, again thanks, sorry for the chain of ?'s

Comment

Boscoe installed new mushroom valve, spring and gasket, alarm still goes sounds off at running, any other suggestions?
                thanks, dave

Comment

Are you sure the alarm is for overheat?
                  Seems if you pulled the temp switches out of heads and alarm still comes in the you need to figure out what is setting off the alarm

Comment

hi temp alarm

99yam, having the sensors that plug into waterjacket housing tested, I assume that that they are connected to alarm under helm. thanks, dave

Comment

I have almost the same motor. '92 ProV200 2-stroke 6 cyl.
                      I've had several overtemps, always when engine has been operating at very low RPM for a while. Mine's never been in salt water. Replacing grommet and PCV tomorrow. Anxious to hear what your problem is/was.
                      Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X