Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

40hp outboard problems newbie please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40hp outboard problems newbie please help!

hello everyone, new to site and can use some knowledge. my dad has a 1994 yamaha 40hp outboard that is having reverse problems, its had problems for yrs clicking when putting it reverse but still managed to always get it in reverse... now it wont go in at all, its not the linkage or cable either.. so he has since brought it to a shop in the area and they said its the reverse gears that are stripped they think. long story short its been 2 months and they still have not fixed it. im vary mechanically inclined with street bike, cars, snowmobiles but have never worked on outboards so im kinda lost and trying to figure out if they are screwing with my father on how hard this job is.. they said that a special tool is needed to remove some shaft or something. not sure but can someone help me with what is needed to replace reverse and make it work again..

thanks for any help

Is this a Yamaha shop and have they started working on it yet?
    If they have they will probably charge you for what they have done so far.

But if they do not know what they are doing and how to fix the motor then they may gladly let you pick it up without a charge.

Clutch dog and maybe reverse gear would be my thoughts as to damaged parts if it has been a problem for years.
    I have never tried to pull them on my 40, but a service manual would defenatly help.
    I would be looking for a Yamaha shop that knows what they are doing

Comment

Working...
    X