Performance problems w/ VMAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance problems w/ VMAX

I have a 2003 Carbureted 150 HP VMAX.It has set up for about 5 months with no fuel stabilizer.At idle, it runs very rough and stalls.It is very sluggish at acceleration,but once it gets up in rpm it runs better.Do I need to rebuild carbs or drain old fuel an add fresh...

Basically the jets and fuel passages get clogged up with gum and varnish if the fuel is allowed to evaporate out of the carbs. If you can pull the jets out and spray some Berryman's Chemtool spray or Amsoil Power Foam up into the bowls to flush everything out you might get lucky. In the future run a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil and/or Sea Foam in your fuel tank, it'll help prevent these problems. But overall Yamaha carbed motors don't like to sit for more than a week or so without being run. Do you have a factory service manual for your motor? If not you can go to www.Yamahapubs.com and order one for about $60.

Mike

Comment

No,I do not have factory service manual.Is it that dificult to pull the jets.I am some-what capable doing mechanical work under the hood,but get nervous when working under the cowling.

Comment

WilWall,
        You can look up your motor in the online catalog (above) and check out a diagram of the carbs. But Mike is right, if you are going to be doing your own maintenance and service, you really need a Yamaha shop manual - it will pay for itself.
        When a carbed motor is allowed to set up for (five) months I recommend the following:
        1)Pull the jets and squirt carb cleaner into the orifices - replace any o-rings on the ends of jets that are distorted or cracked.
        2)Do a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree.
        3)Drain the old fuel, especially if it is pre-mix.
        4)If the above does not do the trick, then the carbs need to be removed, torn down, cleaned, and carb kit installed.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X