1988 90 hp losing cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 90 hp losing cylinders

1988 90 hp etlk. Runs and starts great. Will run like a champ for only 5-10 minutes then acts like it has lost one and sometimes two cylinders. All coils checked out and firing, plugs new and firing, cleaned carbs and bowls, fresh gas and cleaned filters. If I let it sit overnight and cool down will start sequence all over. Thanks, Ken.

Did you test spark and timing when problem was there?
    Have to checked to see if your alarm system is functioning properly?
    Maybe there is a problem with the buzzer

Comment

CDI. In doing some research around the net and asking some mechanics and comparing notes to the issues that I experienced with my 93 70TLR, at about the 18-20 years these things start failing at a rather high rate. Check your CDI and chances are you'll find your problem.

Comment

Did you clear the entire fuel system?

Did same and hand near same difficulty. Gave up and relinquished to dealer. They rebuilt carbs for a grand, but would only guarantee the work if they also disposed of the gas and cleaned the tank and lines. I tossed the tank in favor of a topside 12 gallon portable and new silver-something ethanol rated line and bulb.

That ethanol fuel is a bugger and even with resistant materials, carbs get gummed up just from sitting. Fuel injection is more tolerant of the swill.

Since all is hunky dory, I'm thinking I cleaned all and then let the girl go and drink the same sludge that caused the problem in the first place.

I now pump all fuel out of tank through the connection at the engine, empty the water separating fuel filter, drain the bulbs and turn the open tank upside down to evaporate what's left before putting the boat away for a week or more. No fuel means no fuel to go bad.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

i have found some ignition coils in the past that they were working fine until they get a litle warm....and stop working.....when cool they work just fine!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X