Check your fuel lines!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your fuel lines!!!

I had a fuel starvation issue with a F 150.
    The 1 yr. old fuel lines had delaminated inside, inner liner would collapse shutting down fuel supply.

It was the white Seirra ethanol rated line. No ethanol is used in this boat.

It was caught before the glue and line fragments started to release into motor.

This is the 3rd line i have seen this year doing this. I do not work on outboards for a living and only see freinds motors so this line issue is still with us.

were all 3 the same brand/ type fuel line?
    If so maybe it would be best to stay away from that, but I would tend to think it was different brands.

Over the years I have seen several front wheel brakes on vehicles lock up and not release due to the rubber brake line collapsing and act like a check valve(allowing fluid to the caliper but not letting it back out), it happens to laminated lines, just have to keep an eye out for it and test properly to find.

Comment

welcome to my world.
      its the US govt marine technician stimulous program.

Comment

2 of the 3 were the white Sierra. One of these happened with real gas which leads my to think it is a bad run of line. This white line has been discontinued and replaced with a grey line that appears to be of old woven design. The old line was a smooth plastic with a clear inner lining.

When building race cars we would see people not change out the rubber brake hoses then run into line collapse but that was on a 25yr. old line!

The gov't sure is helping us. Look at what they have done to diesels.

I need to find a source for good fuel line. I may have to drive an hour to a Merc dealer for good line as our only Yamaha dealer sells the Sierra brand by the foot.
        Car parts, hoses, gas etc. has gone to cheap imports. You can not find good parts easily anymore.

Comment

I had the transom fuel filter line to the primer bulb do the same thing years ago. The inside fell apart.

I just happened to notice some crap in the Yamaha (under the cowl), small, inner fuel filter. I was using ethonol at the time (not anymore). Marine grade fuel line, a new primer bulb from the local marina plus some cleaning solved the problem!

You may also find the Yamaha plastic fuel filter cup turns yellow and EXPANDS just slightly too, making installation almost impossible.. A new cup, slipped right in, the old one must have expanded .030" and wouldn't go back in.

Again, thank you ethonol...
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-08-2014, 08:44 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I only use real gas.

Try putting the filter in the freezer. It will come apart easy just reassemble quick or refreeze for 20 min. then assemble.
            After getting the motor using real gas the filter cup comes apart as it should.

Comment

Originally posted by Bilge Rat View Post
              I only use real gas.

Try putting the filter in the freezer. It will come apart easy just reassemble quick or refreeze for 20 min. then assemble.
              After getting the motor using real gas the filter cup comes apart as it should.
              Its already been replaced under warranty. The service mgr said it was common for ethonol to expand that cup..

When I found it, I was out on the water and found the fuel not pumping(literally running out of fuel with a full tank). Some priming of the primer bulb showed where the leak was. I was able to force it on and make it to the marina.

A refridgerator wan't handy and I'd rather have it fixed correctly should I have to pull it off in the middle of no where. IMHO, its not worth getting stranded over..

After numerous issues with ethonol fuel, I just now bite the bullet, pay a bit more for marine, ethonol free fuel and no more issues..
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Try this stuff: Silverado 3000 Outboard Fuel Line - Sierra 116-331-0566 - iboats

Comment

I've found a dab of marine grease on the threads and O-ring of that white plastic filter cup help a lot, come removal time....

Comment

On the cup threads i use dielectric grease/ silicone grease with good results.
                    Started using it on other plastic and rubber parts that were petro intolerant.
                    Not the case here but it works.

Gun shy on Seirra hose, found some new merc hose local and cheap at a buddies shop so i am trying that.

It has started raining again now that the boat is ready

Comment

just recently I had a 4 yr old regulator with twin f250's that had type A1 fuel lines that the inner liner let go.
                      todays fuels and lines simply suck.
                      never had much luck with refridgerating nor greasing the cup.
                      let it sit overnight and usually they will go back on.
                      unless the threads were wiped on removal.

Comment

Working...
                      X