No announcement yet.

2003 90hp 4 stroke engine fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts exactly on the harness deal. I think I can splice it and not be a problem. More $ for bait! I have told everyone I know about the wing nut! I am going fishing tomorrow with a friend of mine. He also has a sweet Yamaha 60hp four and I told him to put nuts on it before we even hit the water! He has wing nuts on his and never heard of such a thing. We will be replacing before we hit the mighty Mississippi tomorrow! I will order all my parts tomorrow from Boats.net and get my girl back on the water!

Comment

splices is problems.
      spend the money.

Comment

Yamaha preferred methodology is to not use splices. This may be why they don't provide individual wire separately, spare connectors and terminal pins and sockets.

A properly performed splice should have as much integrity as an unspliced wire. The key word being "properly". If not done properly they can be problematic.

It is all about risk versus reward. A new harness reduces the risk of a future wiring problem but the reward is not so great, given the cost of a new harness. On the other hand, if you are willing to accept whatever risk there may be in using splices then the reward is greater. Less money out the door.

In aviation, splices are done all of the time. Too costly to restring a 100 foot long wire harness down a fuselage. But, hopefully those splices are properly performed.

Proper performance prevents potential problems.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I went and got a closer look at the plug that goes to the cdi pack and the wiring looks ok but the plug that goes into the lowest plug in looks to be a tiny bit melted. Looks like it would possibly work ok but I hate to spend $250 on the whole wiring harness. Hate to have a splice if there are other options. The diagram is difficult to tell but from the picture in elec. 2 I don't see where it comes down to the cdi pack at all..... Makes sense that Yamaha wouldn't want anything but the whole thing in one harness but ***! Is there a re stocking fee if I order it but see if she works with the old one and send back if she does? That's a ton of dough for 1 little plug in. Everything else looks good.

Comment

While I do agree that wing nuts are probably not great on a battery, I fail to see how a tightened wing nut is worse than a nut, either nut or wing nut being loose is a problem, but either one being tight.... can't see a problem.

Comment

If a wing nut has a lock washer under it, and the nut is sufficiently tightened, there should not be a problem. No lock washer and just a finger tightened wing nut, maybe so. Not always but it is a possibility.

F90 rectifier/regulators are known to be problematic. I don't see the wing nut being part of the OP's problem. Yamaha R/R's generate heat. That's what they do, why air cooled ones have radiator fins on them and why bigger ones are water cooled.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                While I do agree that wing nuts are probably not great on a battery, I fail to see how a tightened wing nut is worse than a nut, either nut or wing nut being loose is a problem, but either one being tight.... can't see a problem.
                Ask any Yamaha MasterTech and they'll tell you to ditch the wing nuts on your cranking battery......cost me $700! Nuts with a lock washer for me!

Wing Nuts Be Gone!

Comment

Spotlight causes reglator fire F 100

Looking at the previous post re the loose battery connections jusy thought I would drop a line, last year I had to use a 100 watt spotlight at night and while switching battery while going I blew up my CDI and all my gauges and a few other electronics including led running lights, last night I switched the same hand held light on and within 10 min my regulator was burning, the light was hard wired direct to battery, but obviously something is wrong, ran her up this morning at idle it is fine soon as you put on some revs 1500 she starts burning the regulator again, apart from the regulator any ideas out there.

Comment

old thread start a new one

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      old thread start a new one
                      yes sorry did that and a reply already, reckon it has to be faulty aux battery caused both probs lol,thanks
                      time to buy parts lol

Comment

Working...
                      X