1990 yamaha 225 fuel pump problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 yamaha 225 fuel pump problems?

I'm a newbie here, first post. Last night I was cruising down the lake in my bass boat and engine just died. Think i ran out of fuel on one tank so switched to the other that is full. Now the motor won't start and run. It acts like its going to start If I squeeze the primer bulb but dies immediately. Checked the fuel filter and cleaned it but no help. I think my motor has three fuel pumps as it has three carbs. Its a 1990 225hp. No air or fuel leaks anywhere I can find. I use ethanol treatment in every tank and boat has always ran flawless, also keep it well maintained. I don't know best place to start diagnosis, if one pump fails does the motor just stop running or is it more likely a problem between fuel tank and fuel pumps? I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of the engine or fuel system. Any knowledgable suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Have you pumped the hell out of the primer ball until it is as hard as a rock? You need to reprime the complete fuel system. All lines, the filter and all of the carburetors.

Comment

1990 yamaha 225 fuel pump problem?

Hey Boscoe thanks for the reply and the answer is yes. Pumped the bulb till it was very firm, it will start for just a second then die and bulb wil be ready to pump again after a few of these failed starts.

Comment

Have you had someone pump the primer ball before starting, during starting and after it has started to see if it will operate?

If the primer ball can be used to get the motor started but the motor won't continue to run, I would check the mechanical fuel pump(s).

It is strange that all of this started when you ran out of fuel and changed tanks. I am presuming that you have filled the empty tank and are trying to get the motor started on that tank.

Comment

Pumping primer bulb does not keep the motor running. I don't know how to check the fuel pumps but believe each of them is electric as they each have in-line fuses that check ok. I've tried on both tanks, the tank it was not running on was full and I've since added fuel to the empty one and it doesnt run on either. I believe its a problem getting fuel to the carbs but not sure how to check the fuel pumps or if there is something else I should check.

Comment

Just a quick follow up, after testing fuel pumps I checked the fuel and it was ~35-40% water. I had filled that tank two weeks earlier and when I switched to that tank engine died for obvious reason now; water settles to bottom of tank where the pick up is so motor won't burn H2O. Drained out 6 gallons from the bottom until fuel tested clear, added heat, more ethanol treatment and she fired right up. After letting it run a few minutes it cleared out and is now running great. Beware where you buy gas, we had a big rain the day before I filled up and guess it leaked into service stations' in ground tanks.

Comment

If you pumped water in a tank with ethanol fuel you have just ruined the fuel, as the ethanol and water will combine and when you pump out the lower layer of water and ethanol you are left with junk(very low octane) fuel that will harm your motor.
              Drain tank completely and flush all lines before refilling

Comment

what 99 says.
                you cannot treat or rejuvenate E fuels after water contamination.
                you can blow a piston using it though.

Comment

Working...
                X