1999 60hp Will not turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 60hp Will not turn off

I have a 60 HP (C60TLRX) that starts & runs great, but will not turn off. When the key is switched off the indicator turns off, but the motor keeps right on running. Pull the emergency stop key and the motor keeps right on running. I have to disconnect the fuel line and then it will finally shut down. Any help would be appreciated.

Update

I was able to look at it more this morning. There is a wiring problem in one of the wire bundles running back to motor. I noticed it would turn off with motor turned one direction but keep running if motor was turned the other direction. I wiggled the wire bundles and I was able to get it to turn off in both directions. Right not it is working, but I need to try and find the short before it causes no starting condition.

Comment

It is not a short. More than likely a bad connection or possibly an open circuit.

The white wire in the harness running from the keyswitch/control box/ stop switch to the CDI box/charge coil is grounded to stop the motor from running.

Focus on finding and inspecting the white wire. Any connecting points in the white wire should be disconnected and reconnected several times to try and scrub off any corrosion there may be, and which may prevent a good ground signal from getting to the motor.

At the CDI box there may be a white wire with a red tracer. Disconnect and reconnect that wire several times to see if this improves the stop circuit functionality.

Comment

Working...
      X