1984 Yamaha 175 V6 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Yamaha 175 V6 question

Good day to all. This is my first time here. I just got my yamaha 175 V6 back from a 3 carb overhaul. I took it out yesterday and it got my 20' Grady White on top like a new motor. About 2000 yards from where I got on top water it lost power. An alarm came on and I lost power down to an idle. What I have fresh gas and oil tank was and is full. After making sure the oil tank under the cowling was full and the gas was flowing good I started it up and had no alarm. I took off and got on top again and ran for about 5 min then the same thing.

Thank you for your time.
    Calvin
    South East Texas

There are two events that will put the motor into RPM reduction mode and sound the alarm. Low oil in the main tank (or a faulty sensor or wiring) and an over temperature event.

Given what you describe I would suspect an over temperature problem. How are the thermostats and the water pump?

Comment

I have not checked the thermostats yet. The motor was pumping water from the straw good. It is a 1985 motor
      Last edited by CalvinBr; 08-05-2013, 06:25 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Originally posted by CalvinBr View Post
        I have not checked the thermostats yet. The motor was pumping water from the straw good. It is a 1985 motor
        Please read this thread, post #2: http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...d-th21995.html

This engine too was pissing plenty of water but the water jackets/heads were badly clogged with salt apparently causing the overheating/shut down...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X