water in lower unit on 90hp yam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in lower unit on 90hp yam

When I went to change the oil in lower unit nothing but water came out of drain hole.Both screws had the seal around them. Where can this water be coming from? I had it out a couple weeks ago did'nt notice any roaring in lower unit it ran fine.

William,
    There are four places water can enter the lower unit - the two plugs for drain and fill, the prop shaft seal and the drive shaft seal, which is under the water pump housing.
    Check the drain and fill level plugs to see if they are tight - if so, then either the prop shaft seal or the drive shaft seal has developed a leak.
    Pull the prop and inspect the prop shaft just in front of the seal for fishing line - sometimes line will wrap around the shaft and cut into the seal. Remove carefully by unwinding the line - sometimes the seal will "re-seal" itself, sometimes not.
    Re-fill the lower unit with oil and look for leaks. If you can't find any, then it's probably gonna be the drive shaft seal. Time to take it to a qualified marine mechanic who has done this before.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

William,
      Make that five places a leak can develop - I forgot about the shift rod seal, but it's the least likely of the five suspects.
      Also, don't let the lower unit set up w/o being filled with oil for very long - it will rust up on you pretty quick.
      Ken K [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
      X