Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 200HP engine 'stuck up'

Hi there,

New boat owner and have an old 19ft with Yamaha 200HP V6.

I have just had the tilt trim repaired as fluid was leaking from one of the end cap seals.
    This was done approx 3mths ago, fluid was flushed and checked and everything worked great.
    Unfortunately I then had to go away so the boat hasn't moved for 6wks or so.

I have just got back and the engine is stuck in the up position. The motor is turning and seems fine. Battery good so enough power etc.
    On inspection there are are no obvious hydraulic leaks-everything seems to be as it should be. The motor is just stuck up and i'm guessing this is through lack of movement!!

Does anyone have any ideas to free this.
    My boat is in a saltwater canal and I cannot get it out as the lock gate is U/S until mid August!
    Can I release the manual screw while the boat is in the water? Would this help?

Any ideas greatly appreciated

is it sitting on the tilt lock ?
    yes you SHOULD be able to release screw
    if its in salt all the time it may be seized with salt corrosion

Comment

I would have someone push on the motor while you hit the switch. Often that gets things going again.....

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Tilt lock is not in place.
        I agree with the salt water seizing the ram. I'm just not sure of the best way to free.
        This happened once before when the boat wasn't used for a month or so and a 'heavy friend' seemed to work well whilst I hit the switch.
        Unfortunately this hasn't move it this time. There's only so much jumping on the engine I want to do.

If I release the manual release screw (which is just below the water line) will that cause any issues ie water in the fluid or any other adverse effects??
        Is it worth trying in case there is some sort of hydraulic lock in the system??

Sorry for all the questions but new to troubleshooting as this is the first boat I've owned and she's been reasonably trouble free.
        Thanks in advance
        Last edited by bahrainkev; 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I have just got back from a business trip so have not resolved the problem.

I tried to release the manual release screw but the screw head is pretty bad and being that the boat is stuck in the water I cannot release it any further ideas would be appreciated...

Comment

Working...
          X