Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a new 150 4 stroke ...?

If I purchase a new 150 four stroke, can this
    motor idol at low rpms for long periods.
    I ***** for salmon in Lake Ontario and
    currently use a 115 2 stroke 1997 era, but am considering to repower with a 150, and don't want it to load up.
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes being it's a four stroke it runs on straight gas, no gas/oil mixture and it's fuel injected. Works well for *****ing.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

You bet, the yamaha 150 four stroke is a solid outboard and will sevrve you well for *****ing, most 4 strokes are outstanding *****ing at low speeds and are a pleaseure to listen to ..

Comment

Nick,
        You have a monster of an outboard there on that Key West (which, by the way is a very good boat). I'm curious, what is the hull weight (dry), and what kind of fuel economy do you get?
        Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Hey Ken, The Key West 23WA dry weight is 3100 lbs. I dont have a flow meter on the boat , but it really sips fuel at *****ing speeds. At mid range throttle it begins to show its a 250.. On the way back from a day of *****ing and fishig we like to blow it out before we clean it and put it away , so at Wide open throttle the fuel flow increases dramaticlly. The weight to horsepower ratio is great on this package. Key West pre-rigged a bunch of 2005 closeouts with the,,Then ,,,, new F-250. it turned out to be a great move, the engine is reliable ,and with the tabs down , great hole shot, great mid range power, and at wide open (dont go there much) good top end.. 30 mph at 3500 rpms, and 51 mph at 6000 rpms, fully trimed. the fuel capacity is a wallet draining 140 gallons. The wet weight with occupants significantly grows, Key West reccommends 200 hp, but most of the Factroy rigged 2006 models now have the flagship F-250, after the problems with the 250 HPDI eating powerheads, Yamaha knew they had to hit a home run with the F-250. so far so good,,

Comment

Nick,
            Pretty impressive numbers - considering the weight of the hull. You might consider installing one of those fuel management systems to determine what is your best speed for max fuel economy - I think it would pay for itself in a pretty short time, considering the number of gallons you must burn.
            On another forum where I am a member I hear a lot about one called the "NavMan" fuel monitor.
            Nothing but praises for this little system - and easy to install. Try going to www.maverickboats.com and link over to the message board and do a search on "NavMan". Might be a good addition to your Key West/Yamaha package.
            Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

Working...
            X