Limiting Tilt Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limiting Tilt Range

I just installed a Baystar hydraulic steering system in my boat. There is interference between the Baystar cylinder and the transom at the very top end of the tilt range. The motor is a Yam 90 hp 2 stroke. ('02 TLRA). Is there a way to limit the tilt to the point where it starts to cause interference (without having to eyeball the cylinder every time I tilt the motor up)?

Thanks,
    Brian

Retrofit electric mercury switches are sometimes used to stop the upward tilt of a motor. I have also heard of a plastic or aluminum spacer being added to the tilt cylinder to mechanically limit the upward movement of the tilt piston.

If you go the mechanical route it might interfere with the ability to use the tilt support lock device. The electrical limit switch could be over ridden.

Comment

Mechanical Stop With Spacer

I like the idea of trying a mechanical stop first. Do you know where I should place the spacer? I have the drawing of the tilt/trim mechanism from the Yamaha service manual, but looking at it, I'm not sure where to place the spacer. Any help would be much appreciated.....

Thanks

Comment

Post some pictures. I had the same problem with interference at full tilt.

Teleflex has instructions for flipping the bracket and changing the steering arm.
        Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
        16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

Working...
        X