Rpm range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rpm range

I have a 1988 Yamaha 130 hp on a 18 ft. Boston Whaler Outrage that runs great. It is a northern freshwater boat. Since I have no owners manual I was wondering what the rpm range should be. The 21 pitch Yamaha prop barely allows the engine to hit 5000 rpm. I think this is at least 500 rpm low. What do you all think?

Thanks

anybody care to chime in?

Comment

RPM's should max out about 5500....have you tried trimming up the motor to gain that extra 500RPM's?.....I have a 90HP Yamaha on my 18 foot Jon boat and I really have to trim it up to get that 5500RPM's....I rarely run Wide open throttle so I don't worry about it.....your boat/motor rig is probably OK like it is, especially if it has been running fine like it is for several years.....

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Robert. I didn't think the engine was lugging but was a little sluggish pulling a tube. Since I did not have a spare prop I wanted to go down to a 19 pitch. I think it will be o.k.

Comment

I tend to have a lower pitched prop when pulling skiers and the like. I'd suggest trying a prop 2" less pitch as you've mentioned.

Comment

Working...
          X