Hours on engine ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours on engine ???

I have a 2001 Yamaha 150 hp and was told by a guide that a marine machanic can tell how many hours are on the motor. How would he do that? I don't care since I can't change it, but curious.

If you took it to a dealer who has the software they can plug in and access information from engine.How ever I took my one to dealer for main service, and asked them to check engine hours. I was curious too,(2005 f115) they could not access information, and said the engine was too old,so probably not worth wasting your time with it.

Comment

I almost bought one last year (same year). It had the hours listed on the gauge which come from the key being on. The dealer I was going to take it to for the mechanical eval told me that they could confirm this but I did not pursue the purchase as there was some damage to the hull that the survey found.

If it is logged, it is stored in the ecu.

Comment

Originally posted by cobb3333 View Post
        If you took it to a dealer who has the software they can plug in and access information from engine.How ever I took my one to dealer for main service, and asked them to check engine hours. I was curious too,(2005 f115) they could not access information, and said the engine was too old,so probably not worth wasting your time with it.
        I bought the YDS cable and software for my 2004 F115 and it works just fine. Logs the time down the the duration at each RPM. Worth noting that the gauge on the dash is listing +8 hours as I think that a previous owner left the key on.

Engine speed Time[h]
        - 1000 r/min 28
        1000 - 2000 r/min 16.2
        2000 - 3000 r/min 2.2
        3000 - 4000 r/min 2.1
        4000 - 5000 r/min 9.4
        5000 - 6000 r/min 8.5
        6000 - 7000 r/min 0.1
        Total hours of operation 66

Comment

I thought that the YDS system only worked on 2006 and newer EFI engines - Live and learn good to hear it works on your 2004 engine.

Everyone that works on their own Yamaha outboard engines should have the YDS system. Not sure why Yamaha does not want customers to have access to their "special" cable and software good thing it's easily available on the web to all that want it

Looking forward to getting YDS version 2.0 real soon
          Retired and Loving Life

Comment

I'm sure someone that knows more about this will correct or confirm with me in that in 2006 they did update a lot of their fuel injected outboards ECU to support Command Link Plus which adds NEMA 2000 connectivity so that you can get even more active information out to your gauges as well as navigation devices capable of reading and displaying this data.

Unless you are a dealer, I don't think you are going to get the 2.0 system as they have forbid the sale of that to us home brewed outboard folks. That said, I would prefer to know less about my engine if given the choice. I would really rather be worrying about where to put the next rod holder and hung up on which polish to use on the chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by NHAngler View Post
              I bought the YDS cable and software for my 2004 F115 and it works just fine. Logs the time down the the duration at each RPM. Worth noting that the gauge on the dash is listing +8 hours as I think that a previous owner left the key on.

Engine speed Time[h]
              - 1000 r/min 28
              1000 - 2000 r/min 16.2
              2000 - 3000 r/min 2.2
              3000 - 4000 r/min 2.1
              4000 - 5000 r/min 9.4
              5000 - 6000 r/min 8.5
              6000 - 7000 r/min 0.1
              Total hours of operation 66
              My engine is in the dealers workshop at the moment.He told me he recently purchased the latest Yamaha software at a cost of £1200.He cannot access the my engine , I wonder why.

Comment

YDS has undergone 4 major changes so far.
                the 2.0 is ONLY required for 2013 and newer engines.
                the older version works on ALL EFI 4 stroke,ALL z and VZ engines manufactured before 2013.
                OX66 and carbed 3.1 still only supports the diagnostic test lamp.
                the V4 and 2.6L v6 carbed don't support YDS at all.

Comment

I thought the yds cable and software wasn't available anymore? If it is where can I get it.

Comment

BRP diagnostics.
                    they make a version 1.33 that will work on Z motors and 4 stroke EFI made prior to 2013.
                    wont work on carbed engines at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X