2007 F-250 Cuts Out at High Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 F-250 Cuts Out at High Speeds

I have a 2003 3070 Pursuit Offshore with twin 2007 F-250's. At RPM's at or above 4400 or so, the port engine with simply cut out. Once it stops, I can start it right back up, and it will run fine again. However, increase the speed to over 4400 and it will cut out again.

I have replaced the fuel filter/water separator in the boat and inside the engine cover, but no change in symptoms. Note we do burn 10% ethanol blend gasoline, and average about 2000 gallons a season.

It has been suggested that I look inside the vapor separation tank (VST) and make sure that area is clean. I want a second opinion before I start to take things apart.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

monitor fuel pressures to see if there is a restriction and where

But in my opinion you will be opening things up and changing and cleaning all the filters before it is all over on both motors and looking at fuel pumps

Comment

99Yam40,

Thanks for the reply. Your advice seems to be the consensus.

By the way, these engines are still covered under the Yamaha (Y.E.S.) extended warranty. Is there any chance that all or part of this could be covered under that warranty? Since I never had a warranty claim, I'm not really sure what's covered.

Comment

dirty fuel plugging things up is not part of that warranty, but never hurts to have them check things out invcase there is some thing wrong that they will cover

Comment

have a problem like this also my motor still runs but cuts out just fo a second it was the high pressure pump filter it was cloged

Comment

Update to F250 Cutting Out at High Speeds

Hi folks,

Followed the advice given, and opened up the VST. All clean as a whistle, including the fuel filter. Also put pressure gauges on and fuel pressure is fine, even when the engine cuts out. Voltage also fine to the high pressure pump.

Next we switched the key harness, thinking it could be in the key switch. No difference.

Note that is usually takes about 15 minutes of run time above 4400 rpms to get the port engine to shut down. Also note that the voltage at the helm gauge shows 14-14.2 when running at slow speeds, but drops to 13-13.2 when running above 4400 rpms.

Now we're not sure if its fuel related or electrical. Next step is to bypass the boat's battery box and hotwire a battery directly to the engine. Also connect a short harness to the engine and bypass all the controls.

Any ideas would be welcome at this point.

Thanks

Comment

I have no idea what would cause voltage to drop at high RPM, but may be something for extended warranty to pay for if it traces back to Lighting coil/stater. Connections are the 1st place I would look also
              Seems some of these motors shut down if they see low voltage

Comment

if you remove the port intake plenum and look between the electric lift pump and the vst there is a horse shoe filter, you will find your issue here, i had 3 f250s this week with the same issue and this fixed all 3, let me know how it turns out.

Comment

Hi Sequoiha,

Thanks for the suggestion. Just for clarification, is this horse shoe shaped filter inside or outside the VST? If it's the one inside the tank, just before the high pressure pump (part #16 in parts schematic) that filter has already been replaced.

If it's outside the VST, maybe you could give me a part number, as it doesn't show up on the parts schematic.

Thanks again,
                  Eric

Comment

its outside the vst, item #8 on fuel injection pump 2 page. part number is
                    69J-24501-10-00, hope this helps.

Comment

New Update

Replaced the horse shoe shaped fuel filter between the lift pump and the VST. The problem persists. Now we're stumped. Beginning to think it may be an electrical problem.

Next step will be to isolate the boats electrical system, as well as the engine's external controls.

Thanks to all for their ideas and suggestions.

Comment

Latest Update

Hi folks,

We put the engine on a short harness today and bypassed all the electrical systems on the boat. The port engine still died above 4400 RPM's.

We have virtually eliminated all fuel issues, as well as electrical issues outside the engine.

Any ideas would be appreciated-thanks!

Comment

maybe it is time to take to Yamaha master tech to hook up to computer.

Rodbolt17 might give some advice if he sees your post

Comment

first thing I would do is run it while monitoring rail pressure and recording the data from the ECU.
                            the laptop will record about the last 16 minutes of data.
                            your describing a classic loss of rail pressure.
                            or you can chunk parts and swap stuff till the cows come home.

Comment

Ultimate fix

First of all, thanks for all who responded with ideas. At the end of the day, the problem was a bad cam sensor.

Hope this helps others that have a similar problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X