1996 90 hp two stroke problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 90 hp two stroke problems

New member with above motor and problems. Sorry for long post but I could use help diagnosing the fix. Here are the issues. The motor is new to me. It runs great most of the time. However, often times, after running at slow speeds for 30 minutes or more, she will no longer get out of the hole and limits rpms to about 2,000. I used to be able to cure this by going to neutral, racing the cold start lever for a few seconds but that fix no longer works. Also, just recently, even after running at 3500 rpms, she would bog down and then to go beyond 1,000 rpms. Oddly enough, when that happened and I shut her down and restarted her, she ran just fine. I get no alarms and plugs, impeller and water pump are new. Can't yet tell whether it could be a fuel issue ( but how would that go away by just a shut down and restart, an oil injection issue ( but how would that go away with a shutdown and restart, a CDI issue ( told they rarely fail) or something else. Finally, and quite curiously, when this happened last, and I shifted to neutral, I could not even shift into reverse as if the transmission was disabled by the safe mode. Then again, a shut down and immediate restart cured it all. Please help.

you need to test the alarm systems to see what is working properly and what is not.
    There is a good possibility that you have oil level problem or an overheat but alarm is not sounding because it is nonfunctional.

might check to see if PRV is sticking open or in line oil filter is plugging

None of the safe mode would affect shifting that I ever heard of

Comment

Will do. What is a PRV valve and is there any way this could be some sort of linkage issue or ignition switch issue?

Comment

Getting ready to have mechanic start on this. He will check pressure relief valve. Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X