Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I determine if fuel flow is adequate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I determine if fuel flow is adequate?

I am working in Alaska in the fisheries, a customer of my company sunk his skiff. I am fairly certain at this point he has a partial fuel line blockage. Engine idles fine continues to run fine until WOT and then has symptoms of fuel starvation. If you barely pump the bulb, ( and I mean barely) it continues to run fine. If you watch the filter bowl, it appears to be sucking air. The lines have been replaced all the way back to the tank.

monitor fuel pressure and vacuum to see if there is a problem with pressure/vacuum on the supply.
    No idea what motor you are speaking of, but pumps,filters, o-rings, check valves, and anti siphon valve are some things to look at

Comment

The motor is an F150 series. My gauges are in the mail, what range should vacuum be in?

Comment

vacuum should be less than 4"Hg at about 15 gallons per hour flow.
        filter cup stays about half full when running,its normal.

Comment

I never sunk my f150 and it does the same thing. Out of the blueit happened. Fuel filter drops to bottom of the filter element and wont recover unless I can pump the ball. If you figure it out let me know and I will do the same. I have mine with a marine mech but they have been to busy to do anything other than change the fuel bulb on the gas line and run it off a portable tank but it still acts the same aWOT
          I have read other threads with similar problems and one guy says cleaning the injectors fixed it another guy tried the injectors and it didnt make a difference to the fuel suplly.
          I will stay in touch

Comment

Originally posted by phallgtown View Post
            I never sunk my f150 and it does the same thing. Out of the blueit happened. Fuel filter drops to bottom of the filter element and wont recover unless I can pump the ball. If you figure it out let me know and I will do the same. I have mine with a marine mech but they have been to busy to do anything other than change the fuel bulb on the gas line and run it off a portable tank but it still acts the same aWOT
            I have read other threads with similar problems and one guy says cleaning the injectors fixed it another guy tried the injectors and it didnt make a difference to the fuel suplly.
            I will stay in touch
            What exactly is the problem with your motor?

As stated earlier, it is completely normal for the engine mounted fuel filter to be less than full. Is this the only issue with your motor?

Comment

I have never noticd what the fuel level in the engine mounted filter was at when my motor was running normally.
              I have a 2006 F150 that i have had since new and has 710 hrs on it at the moment. two weeks ago I would have used the boat and everything was fine, then one week ago I had the boat out to fish a club tournament. My first few spots weren't far so i only cruised about half throttle to go to each, Then i went to run to the other side of the lake and found at WOT my boat would only go 32 mph (normally will do 46mph) it then eventually dropped to 26mph by the end of the day. This motor if i recall revs at about 5800-6000 rpm at WOT. AT 26MPH it was maxing out at 4000rpm. It would start no problem and idle no problem.
              Later that week i changed the plugs and fuel filter as they were do anyways and i just figured i wasnt getting all cylinders to fire or perhaps clogged fuel filter. Once i had those changed i rushed out that evening to local lake and did a test run. In my rush i forgot my fish finder which i use as a speedo (dash mount isn't working). I could tell the motor/boat was running faster, but not sure how fast and was reving now at 5000rpm at WOT.
              i went back out a couple days later with my fish finder to confirm the exact speed and it did 36 mph still not what it should be. But that was short lived with in a couple of short runs at WOT it bogged back down to 26 mph and with in 20 mins it dropped further to below 20mph (don't recall the rpm). At 26mph it still ran somewhat smooth but below 20 it seems rougher and struggling more. This is when i took the cowling off and ran the motor/boat. I noticed the fuel in the filter had dropped to the bottom of the filter element. I pumped the ball that was on the soft side and quickly filled the filter.
              When the motor idles or when i rev the motor in neutral the fuel level drops a bit but still covers most of the filter element. but every time i try and go WOT the fuel almost instantly drops to the bottom of the element and never recovers. I can pump the ball and fill the filter with fuel again, however i was out by my self and couldn't do this while trying to run the boat at WOT.
              I decided to take the boat in to the local marine mech the next morning. So I went to top up the tank. Most of the time when i fill the tank/over fill it the fuel sil shoot out both the fuel intake and vent. This time it I noticed it did not come out the vent. I mentioned this to the mech. He says he did a vaccum test??? on the fuel sytem and tried my motor with a portable tank to by pass my fuel system and it didn't improve.
              But I wonder is putting my motor in a tank or using the hose/ear muffss the same as WOT under load. As mentioned earlier in nuetral and with reving it motor sounds smooth and has no problems, its just underload.
              Sorry for making this so long if you can help me as well it is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X