225Vmax cranking problems remain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225Vmax cranking problems remain

OK, still having cranking problems. It cranks fine when water hose is hooked up but it shows out in the lake. Recently took it to certified Yamaha mechanic. Performed compression check, one cylinder was about 7 lbs below the others when cold, but after warming engine it sealed off and held with the others. Fuel pressure was a little weak, changed out filter on bottom of fuel pump. He said he couldn't find anything else wrong with it and it cranked fine for him every time. Still showing out at the lake. Drawing straws here...Any more suggestions?

225Vmax cranking problems remain

Couple of days ago i posted continuation of my problems. I saw where several have viewed my post but haven't got any replies towards some help. I really need some help with this. I have become less confident in taking my boat anywhere because of my problem. Please see below...

OK, still having cranking problems. It cranks fine when water hose is hooked up but it shows out in the lake. Recently took it to certified Yamaha mechanic. Performed compression check, one cylinder was about 7 lbs below the others when cold, but after warming engine it sealed off and held with the others. Fuel pressure was a little weak, changed out filter on bottom of fuel pump. He said he couldn't find anything else wrong with it and it cranked fine for him every time. Still showing out at the lake. Drawing straws here...Any more suggestions?

Comment

what is "showing"?

Comment

what is "showing"?

"Still showing out at the lake" means I am still having the same cranking problems as I had described in my last post.

Comment

so. you think we should go search for what you wrote on a different thread?

If you want help you best post all your info or better yet do not start different threads on same problem with out giving all the info again

Comment

Ok, so lets try this again. I have been having some trouble with my '99 225VMAX cranking while in the lake. It cranks fine every time when right off the trailor. Its only after I have ran to my fishing hole and fished allowing motor to cool down that it does not want to crank. When it cranks, it smokes a little at first then smoke settles. When it dont crank, it only turns over once while still holding key over. It will not let me wind on the motor. When i get it cranked, it appears to be very flooded. I checked for voltage drops on pos and neg cables like previously suggested and it was fine. Plus I have checked for water intrusion and there are no signs from what I can tell. I have noticed there is what seems to be a little too much oil on plugs. Recently taken it to a mechanic and he performed compression check and fuel pressure check. One cylinder was 7 lbs below the others when cold but after warming, it came back up with the others and held. Fuel pressure was a little weak and found filter on bottom of pump almost stopped up so he changed it. He could not put his fingers on anything else and said it cranked fine for him every time. Which has been my problem while hooked up to the water hose. My question is, is there anything else other than what I have not already tried that may lead me in the direction of getting this problem fixed????

Comment

So does the motor stop turning like it locked up after tuning over just once or what happens

And did you test voltage drop while this problem showed up?

Comment

yes the motor stops turning over after one stroke, but will eventually crank. I have not checked voltage drop while having this problem while on the lake. why would a voltage drop issue only show up while in the lake?

Comment

PLEASE explain "crank" for some reason, "crank" can mean turning over by the battery, OR not starting. There is only one meaning to the word crank (well to me anyway) and that is turning over on the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by shoemake View Post
                    yes the motor stops turning over after one stroke, but will eventually crank. I have not checked voltage drop while having this problem while on the lake. why would a voltage drop issue only show up while in the lake?
                    If the motor stops turning while starter is engaged then something has to be binding or you are loosing the voltage and amps needed to turn it.

Battery, battery cables, starter,lower unit, or the motor itself when things get heated up. maybe when you stop all of a sudden the motor drops too low and gets water up the exhaust and enter a cylinder. Eliminate all things you can by testing and inspecting

Comment

I have ruled out the battery, cables and connections. The lower unit turns freely with no resistance and has very little slack in the the drive train while its in gear. Not sure about the starter. Can it be taken off and checked at local mechanic like a vehicle starter?
                      I understand the part about water getting in the exhaust and into a cylinder. But i can just idle around for little while and it do the same. Could it be that I am having a back pressure problem? I have found someone i can borrow a water trough from, going to put it in there tomorrow and re-check everything again.

Comment

next time it happens crank it more.. then feel the ends of the ground cable.. if its warm at all cut it back 6" and re-lug
                        the motor IS 14 yrs old... original wires ???

Comment

Yes, original wires. Battery has 12.6v when cold. Its charging at 14.9v. Had battery load tested yesterday and it checked out fine.
                          After running in bath today, I am going back to oil issue. It seems to me as if its oiling too much. After running for a few minutes, a pretty thick oil silt forms on top of the water and starts collecting around the foot of the motor. I emptied out the oil tank and checked to see if oil had gelled over and it had not. Oil looked perfectly fine as if it was just poured out of a new jug. What regulates the oil flow?

Comment

I think you are chasing ghosts here, kind of doubt that over oiling is your problem (but anything is possible) do you have a genuine manual for your motor? if not get one, and follow the trouble shooting steps in sequence, do NOT start jumping all over the place and missing simple steps.

Comment

Truth here is there are no ghosts. Yes, I do have an operators manual. Its obvious I have an over oiling issue. Here is why. After changing plugs (again) with recommended plugs and setting gaps at .037 which is at mid range of the manuals recommendation, I can pull any of the plugs and oil will almost drip out of them... The oil collecting on my foot while idling in that bath for about ten minutes, is so thick that when I trim up the motor, it will not run off of the foot. I have to wipe it off. The smoking is getting worse while my motor is running. It is not settling out like it was initially which is leading me to believe that this could have been my problem all along. Someone has told me that my computer may be the problem. Can someone tell me if it may be the culprit to an over oiling problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X