Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP. How to set timing on yamaha 4 stroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP. How to set timing on yamaha 4 stroke?

Hi, does anybody know how to adjust the timing on a 2001 Yamaha 4 stroke 40hp outboard jet? I think it somehow jumped time and I cannot find information anywhere on how to adjust it. any information would be a great help. thanks!

Best guess would be that you may have other problems on motor other than the timing...what are your symptoms?...

Comment

first step is to buy a genuine manual for your motor, it would not be common for the timing to "jump"

Comment

the motor quit all of a sudden and fired up again twice for a short period until it bogged out. I drained the carbs, put in new plugs, new fuel, and new fuel filter, still doesn't want to start at all so I checked over all the wiring and there is good spark and no shorts or bad grounds. i live in a remote area so i cant bring it in to a mechanic because no one works on them, i had a friend set the valves for me and said the valves are not working in right order so i tried to find out how to line up all the timing marks. i downloaded a manual online and it had nothing in there about the timing marks.

Comment

if the keys for the flywheel and cam is ok it cannot be out of time unless the CDI unit failed.
          ign timing is non adjustable.

turn the flywheel so the TDC marl on the flywheel and the #1 mark on the cam sprocket line up on their respective marks.

Comment

Working...
          X