Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 150 VMAX Missing when under power

OK, I have searched and still am baffled... please help

I have a 98 150 VMAX that idles fine but, when the under power it is missing... best way to describe it is like taking off one the plug wires when running down the lake. This happens at low or high speeds, does not matter. Also feels like it is not the same cylinder doing this each time.

Things I have done:
    New plugs
    New fuel pumps
    New fuel filter
    Carbs re-built 2 years ago, Cleaned with heavy seafoam dose this year
    Compression is good

I am leaning toward CDI or Coils... how do I test these? I don't want to spend $400 for coils or $900 for a CDI if I am not 100% sure that this is the issue.

PLEASE someone help me.

using a dva adapter check inputs to the cdi and outputs from it.

then go fix the fuel system.

coil and CDI failure is incredibly rare.

Comment

here is what the plugs look like. They all look to be the same...

not sure what to do next. probably going to order a DVA tomorrow and see if i can figure out how to test things when i get it.
      Attached Files

Comment

looking at the way excessive oiling,find and fix the oiling system issue.
        could be the link arm clip is broken to the oil pump shaft seal is leaking.

Comment

Boat ran fine this weekend with new plugs but, now my battery is draining!

I have a brand new Blue Top Optima that was fully charged on Saturday morning. Running 2 livewell pumps, 2 GPS units for 7 hours plus, my lights for an hour or so... started motor a few times to move spots during the day then in the 7th hour, the battery did not have enough power to turn over the motor.
          Stopped to have the battery tested and it shows no bad cells.

According to testing the Amp readings with a Multi-meter, with both pumps, both, and GPS units on, I am pulling -3.4Amps. I just don't understand how that could be draining a battery that has 50 Amp hours in it.

Does anyone think that this could be linked to my engine missing? Not sure how that could be since the new plugs helped correct that but, you never know when it comes to boats and electrical issues.

Comment

Working...
          X