Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Yamaha outboard...

Hello to the forum and good day.

I recently bought an 18 foot Sunbird cuddy cruiser with O/B option and a 2000 115 hp Yamaha outboard (C115 TLRY) with carbueretors using pre-mix fuel. The power recommendation for the boat was 115 hp maximum.

The boat and outboard were separate purchases and I'm now installing the outboard and was interested in suggestions/thoughts about the outboard from forum members who have had previous experience.

The outboard has low hours and has had a saltwater past. Previous to my purchase, the local dealer checked the outboard over for proper operation and found no issues. They also knew the outboard and had serviced it for the previous owner. I felt that their reputation was more valuable than them mis-representing it to me. I really have no reason to mistrust them or the previous owner. I also researched the outboard online, read feedback comments and was re-assured with the positive comments regarding reliability and servicability issues.

A couple of quick questions though- does the outboard's charging system maintain the battery level? Can I connect a voltmeter across the battery terminals to monitor charging? Is there a way to monitor the engine temperature rather than assuming it's being properly cooled if there is water moving through it? A dead battery or overheated outboard would seriously ruin my day on the water and might very well mean a call to the Coast Guard....

In this part of the world, it is impossible to buy fuel without added ethanol.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed and thanks in advance for them.
    Last edited by shemogue; 07-06-2013, 09:24 AM. Reason: added more information

A couple of quick questions though-
    does the outboard's charging system maintain the battery level? Yes it does,

Can I connect a voltmeter across the battery terminals to monitor charging? Yes you can, just hook the volt meter to the B+ and Ground behind the dash and it will read battery voltage and charging voltage.

Is there a way to monitor the engine temperature rather than assuming it's being properly cooled if there is water moving through it? yes, You can get a temp sensor from a dealer or order it here online, you will need to wire it in to a gauge on the dash..

Comment

Working...
    X