Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 200 SW Series II - Hard start when cold

This is my first post on this board.

I have a 1997 200 HP Saltwater Series II motor that is hard to start when the boat has been sitting several days. Once it starts the first time,it runs fine, and starts fine for the rest of the day.

What I have read on this board makes me believe the jets in the carburators would be a good place to start. My service manuel lists the following

Main Jet (2)
    Pilot Jet(2)
    Pilot Air Jet (2)
    It also makes reference to a Main Air Jet & a Main nozzle, but I do not see these on the diagram.

Are these jets easily removed? And where can I find the 2 parts not shown in the diagram? Thanks.

if your motor runs fine at all ranges and you only have hard starts when cold, i dont think your carbs are the culprit but just priming. try to pump primer ball up as much as possible- when starting, till ball is hard,choke and have throttle halfway open when starting.you might have to vary the settings but it wants more fuel at startup.
    if you have other running issues it could then be your carbs.boy i rmemebr those days of cold starts and ball pumping....thank god for efi.

Comment

Cobia,

I have the same engines (1999). Had the same problem on 1 of 2. Discovered my batt cable had gone bad and whasn't generating enough cranking speed. The conductor had corroded under the jacket and was creating too much resistance. The cable was hot after prolonged cranking, and finally melted in a few spots. Changed out the cable and the problem was gone for good. Check your cables first before doing anything else.

Comment

Thanks for the response.
        First it is definitely not the batteries. I have three brand new AGM batteries that I completely rewired (Set up displayed in West Marine Cat.)

Other than starting the motor runs great. Maybe I need to prime the ball more. I'm not sure if I understand the part about having the throttle half way open. Could you explain? Thanks

Comment

I'm looking at my manual on starting procedures. If I am reading this correctly, in order to increase the throttle, "while pushing the free accelerator button, rotate the remote control lever (free accelerator lever) 35 degrees foward"
          Turn the key on.
          I have NEVER started my boat this way. I always have started my boat with the throttle in the neutel postion (upright). I bet this solves my problem, but will be a few months before I find out. Thanks

Comment

Cobia,
            If the motor runs fine after starting, then I don't think there's anything wrong with the jets of the carbs.
            If your carbs have the old standard butterfly valve choke system, then I would remove the air silencer and look into the throats of the carbs and check to see if the valve is closing all the way when the choke solenoid is engaged. If the butterfly valves are not closing completely, then hard cold starting is usually the result.
            Check solenoid linkage and adjust so that the valves close completely. If you have a manual choke knob, pull it out completely and see if that closes the choke valves all the way.
            If your motor has the prime-start choke system, then it is not doing it's job. Check the Yamaha shop manual for troubleshooting - if I were more familiar with it, I would advise. I believe it is just a plunger that is hooked to a solenoid that engages when the temp is below a specified level. The plunger "squirts" fuel into the throats of the carbs, I believe.
            Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

Working...
            X