steel collar and spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steel collar and spacer

I was putting the water pump back together on my 98 SWSII 225; I got a new collar and spacer as I had to break off the old one. It seems like the fit will be very tight and not easy to get on. I checked the part numbers and they are correct. Is it ok to wack the collar onto the spacer? Looks like it will take force.
    Thanks
    SR:

I use needle nose pliers and a big plastic handled screw driver, when you put the water pump impeller on you need to pull up on the drive shaft and push down on the impeller as hard as you can. put the 3 washers on flat,wave,flat in that order, put the plastic retainer on then put the steel ring on, put the pliers over the steel ring and smack it with the plastic handle of the screw driver,

Comment

I tried to do that but there is a definite misfit. The collar is way too small to cover the plastic spacer. The spacer has a split and opens at least 3-4 mm once over the shaft. The collar can never fit. I tried to smack it pretty hard. It looks like the old collar may have been heated to fit over. Is that possible? My old collar I had to cut a slit and I can put it back but its obviously loose. Help?
      Thanks SR
      collar.jpg

Comment

if it doesnt fit then the plastic collar is not in the groove properly,, are you pulling up on the drive shaft and pushing down on the impellar..

Comment

are you nuts? .
          your putting it together wrong.
          the spacer,collar and washers go on BEFORE the housing is installed.

Comment

Seriously; what an idiot! Thanks guys for your help. The pump works great!
            SR

Comment

its funny, but your not the first one to do it .

Comment

Working...
              X