Water pump/200 hour service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump/200 hour service

I have 200 HPDIs that I operate offshore. Do I need to change the water pumps at two hundred hours (18 months)? I can't be sucking up much sand in 200 feet of water.

MrPat,
    It amazes me - I just went thru both my Yamaha owner's manual and shop manual, and nowhere can I find any recommendation about periodic maintenance on the water pump .
    You're gonna get a lot different opinions on your question - some owners replace the impeller as often as once a year, some just wait until it breaks and stops pumping water (not recommended).
    My trusted marine mechanic (I go to him when I'm in over my head) recommends to his customers a water pump kit every two years.
    If you have a water pressure gauge, you can monitor the performance of the water pump. When the pressure starts dropping from "normal", indicating a worn/weak impeller, it's time to do a kit install. And you will probably find out this is gonna average about every three years, depending on use, of course.
    Bottom line, since you are using your motors quite a bit and going offshore, I would do a repair every two years.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

MY BUDDY HAS THE SAME MOTORS ON HIS BOAT PURCHASED THIS PAST SPRING. HIS MECHANIC TOLD HIM AFTER THE 3RD SEASON HOURS NOT TO MATTER HAVE THEM CHANGED. NOT TO WAIT ANY LONGER DUE TO CORROSION SETS IN AND THEN ITS HARD TO REPLACE.

Comment

Chris,
        The corrosion your buddy's mechanic is talking about is associated with the lower unit and water pump bolts - that's why you want to use a quality thread sealer like Permatex 14A with Teflon - prevents "galling" of the threads by lubricating them and also keeps out (salt) water to prevent corrosion.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X