Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 15hp 4 Stroke 2009 - CARB PROBLEMS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 15hp 4 Stroke 2009 - CARB PROBLEMS!

Hello,

I am at the end of my patients with my engine. This engine has run amazingly well since Ive had her.

My problems started when had to leave my boat 100 miles away over winter due to unforeseen circumstances. It had no cover on it and had fuel in the carb etc.

I had water in my fuel so would not fire poured away all my old fuel and let the remaining fuel evaporate naturally then replaced fuel and would still not fire up.

I then took the carb off cleaned it all out and all the jets! It then fired and ran swimmingly but starting from cold was a pain but I guessed the plugs needed replacing.

Anyway I took her out on the water she ran well until she decided to cut out on me luckily right behind a lifeboat (ironic). I manged to get her going again and I thought it may have been some dirt in the jets which had blown through. It then happened again just cut out on me and again was a pain to start! It started and I recovered her and took her back to the yard.

I took the carb off again and cleaned it out including all the jets and put some nice new spark plugs in her. It fired first time in the yard and ran purrrfect!

I thought I had fixed it took it out on the water to test it today and again it feels like it sucked some more dirty into the carb and completely died on me! I had to call over a passing boat, I then tried it one more time and it fired and got me back to the beach.

So whilst on the beach I ran it for 45-60 minutes in idle (revving it up and down) no problems and it idle fine! Then i took it out for a spin and it died!!!! I rowed back in to the beach!

I recovered her washed her all down and tried to start the engine in the yard but it would not start! I put the cover on her put my fuel tank in the shed and left her!

Anybody got any ideas?

I am thinking of cleaning the carb out yet again and putting an inline fuel filter in between the pump and the carb to try and stop the dirt hitting the carb!

I just dont understand were the dirt is coming from, is it in my fuel lines?

I did notice that some of the deposits are orangy in colour.

Please someone help me out

Cheers

Nick

carefully clean or replace the tank,lines,primer fuel pump and carb.
    once debris is in the system it can be hard to get out.

Comment

...and throw any OLD FUEL away and start fresh. Also, check for white or milky whiteish fuel at the filter, a CLEAR sign of Ethanol phase separation.

From my buddies on the Golf Cart Repair forum:

Originally posted by nobuckbuild; [url=http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=895567
      ]Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum[/url] WELCOME to the ethanol nightmare , you probably have ethanol phase sep., just this past week i had to drain everything the mowers the golf carts everything with an engine here had to be drained due to the ethanol breaking and absorbing water , we had three inches of rain last week and even though everything was covered up the ethanol just soaked it up out of two gallons of gas i had a full quart of water. get a glass jar and pull the fuel line off the carb and put it in the jar and crank the engine till it fills up the jar , you'll be able to tell within a few minutes when you see all the water at the bottom of the jar with the gas on top , like a lava lamp. also the water hitting the filters will not let gas pass through so you may need to replace them again. good luck keep us posted

Comment

thanks for your info guys, I did have Milky whiteish fuel in filter and I did crank it over until it cleared it is now clear and I also threw away all my old fuel and replaced with new.

I suspect its got some more dirt in the carb. I am going to clean all the lines, carb and put an inline filter between fuel pump and carb. This should stop any more dirt finding its way to the carb.

i am based in the uk by the way I think all you guys are based in America.

Cheers

Nick

i

Comment

Do you think it could be a float problem but the float seems to work when I have the carb off.

Comment

Working...
          X