Help with compression test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with compression test

In order to do a compression test do you have to disconnect anything to make sure engine won't start up. First time doing one and dont know to much about it. Would you be able to give me directions to be safe? And when tAking out spark plugs and taking them out do i need to be careful of anything. I know its really basic but i never worked on engines before. Thanks

I either hook up my spark tester to all removed plug wires or pull the stop lanyard.
    on all injected engines I pull the stop lanyard or otherwise disable the fuel system.

Comment

Several schools of thought here. Need full charged battery. Take out all of the plugs or just take out the plug of the cylinder you are currently checking.Depends who you talk to. Important:.....Lanyard removed and/or ground the plugs.

Butterfly's need to be fully open, when checking. Accurate compression gage. All gages are not equal. use yours as a benchmark for future readings to see variance in values over time.

All cylinders should be about the same reading. Warm engine or cold again depends who you talk to .

Engage the starter the same revolutions/time for each cylinder.

But: use the same gage and same procedure at every future test.--Don't get the plugs wires miss connected when finished.

Verify that the adapter that you screw into the cylinder is the proper one for the engine-not too long so that it smacks the top of the piston-same reach as the correct spark plug

The following is an excellent article---directed about jet skis but very relevant

Personal Watercraft High Performance Compression Ratios

Good Luck
      Last edited by dorf; 06-30-2013, 03:02 PM. Reason: adapter info

Comment

Working...
      X