correct marine grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct marine grease?

I bought a 9.9MSH 2-stroke motor from an individual a couple of weeks ago. Date of mfgr is 07/08. He bought it new from a dealer. He says it was only used twice. I believe him, as it is spotless, and there aren't even any scratches on the prop.

The manual calls for a number of areas for a marine grade grease. Have found one zerk fitting, and there may be more. I went to my local Yamaha dealer and asked for this grease, and he said he didn't have if for sale.

Now, there are a number of marine greases out there, with different compositions. It is my understanding that mixing different types of grease is not a good idea. I doubt this engine has had any lube work since it was new. What should I look for to match the original type used?

I typically use quicksilver 24c or special lube 101.

Comment

Or .......Walmart brand. Marine. In 4 oz. tubes. use small grease gun. Works great. It is impossible to remove previous installed grease

Just my 2cents

Comment

There is a lot of difference between water proof grease and MARINE grease, anything to do with steering and so on requires MARINE grease, not a cheap substitute, the manufacturers product is good, I use OMC Triple Guard, but most of them are good, do NOT use bearing grease, cheap water proof grease or anything else, or in a year or two, you will be posting about how to free up a seized swivel bracket or tilt tube rod for the steering.

Comment

Thanks for your replys. I have decided to go with the Yamaha yamalube in the small greasegun tubes. It is obvious that the motor has not been lubed since bought new. I would rather go with the mfgr suggested lube.

Comment

triple guard works well.

Comment

Grease gun

What size grease gun coupler should I use for grease gun
              So I can pump it into tip
              Thank you
              Richard

Comment

Working...
              X